Sounds like a rip-off, what do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine had a couple of blokes (I won't give their nationality) paint the following parts of the front of his house: window frames, sills, guttering, the bits the guttering is attached to, the door frame and some tiles around the bay window. They were on site from 8:30am to 2:00pm and charged him £700. I thought it should be between £300 - £400, although that is a guess as I have no experience of paying for such work.
All the while they complained about the Lithuanians etc that were moving onto 'their' patch and taking all the work. Like it was their divine right!

Sponsored Links
did they rub down fill prime under coat and two top coats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think my answer to the problem is self explanetry ;)

Painters we've tried over the years have charged between £50 and £100 per man-day. (The one who charged the most was also the best, though I know this won't always be the case.)

Big-all is right. All they had time to do was slap a top coat on - and they probably didn't even brush the dirt off first! It was a bodge and a rip-off.

big-all said:
did they rub down fill prime under coat and two top coats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think my answer to the problem is self explanetry ;)

Too bl##dy right B-A !! ;)

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Too bl##dy right B-A !! ;)

last time i flew with B-A it was awful!......... he kept on saying "you ain't getting me on no plane fool!"

oh and ditto with the 'touch up' point of view :cry:

I really can't believe that anyone would even consider paying £700 for two guys for half-a-days work.
And it is equally hard to believe that anyone would consider a proper paint job could be done in that time.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who would hand over £700 for a bodge job. Kingsley thought it was worth up to £400 but even £300 is way over the top for what was at most 1.5 man days. Kingsley, if you have any contact details for these two you should pass them on to Rogue Traders and Watchdog.

The friend of mine who 'employed' these two rascals is a little inexperienced when it comes to matters of house maintenance and failed to observe the first rule, which is to get multiple quotes for any work you intend to have done. He's learnt the hard way unfortunately. Actually, I originally thought it should be around £200 for the work but he laughed that off. I tried to figure out the exact cost of materials, including buying a ladder if you were to diy, and then add about £150 which would come to about £200. Personally, I would have done the work myself.

helloo kingsley
we are all nieve in some areas and we can all be had over by someone

does your freind realise the work will need to be redone properly probably at the end off the summer when the paint blisters
he may be lucky and it lasts a couple of years time will tell :cry:

But next year Al, the bill will be over £700 as the decorator will have to scrape or burn off the flaking paint first! Ho hum :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back