Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum, nice to meet you all!

I have just bought my first house, apart from all the sockets falling off the walls it all seemed okay until Monday.

It rained overnight and I woke up to a large damp patch around my bedroom window.

It hasn't rained since monday and the patch has shown no signs of drying - maybe it was there before and I didn't notice it?!

The window is question is on the north side of the house and sees no direct sunlight, it's located above a small flat felted roof extension. The roof above is the standard pitched roof.

Here's what I've noted since Monday...

I have looked in the loft and all seems to be okay, the Guttering is clear and not leaking and the roof tiles look okay and free from Moss and debris.

It seems like someone has had a go at sealing the area before from the outside and inside so I guess I missed it when viewing the house. There is also some rust on the metal plaster cornering where the recess meets the main wall.

I've taken off the window sill and seen that one of the large internal bricks is very damp (left bottom corner) it's also damp on the underside of the sill. The window screws that hold it to the brickwork are rusty all round and it's very dirty when you open the window and look at the hinges etc. The facial and soffits are dirty and have some kind of mould on them / flaking paint work.

I have today noticed small damp patches appearing in the top corners of the window frame.

I have added some pictures.

Do you think it's rising damp from the extension? (No damp in extension) Or maybe an incorrectly sealed window frame? (Beading is old and outer trim has seen better days) Or even leaking from above the soffits (although roof tiles are okay)

As you can imagine I am left skint after the purchase. I would love to get your thoughts on what the cause could be before dishing out for a builder (or glazier??)

I've just ordered a cheap borescope to see what's going on behind the damp brick and will keep you guys posted.

I'm quite handy with a drill and paintbrush but haven't had any experience with this.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your thoughts.

Many thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to see what's which from the pictures.

There is no such thing as rising damp.

From what you say it would seem obvious that water is running in somewhere. You just have to find out where.

Thanks for your replies lads.

Looks like a busy weekend for me then! I'm thinking of taking the window fame completely out for inspection and renewing the screws as ther are shot. Replacing the seals and hopefully finding the cause of the problem.

Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted!

Sponsored Links
Back