Source of spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to know if I can take a spur using 2.5 twin and earth and take it from a ring circuit inside the fuse board that's got a 32amp breaker on it?

Help!

Robert

Sponsored Links
You can take a spur powering either 1 single or 1 double socket from a ring circuit using 2.5mm^2 twin and earth. Fitting a fused spur will allow you to add any number of sockets.

What exactly do you mean by: 'take it from a ring circuit inside the fuse board'? Do you mean opening up the consumer unit and running the spur directly from there?

Could you give some more info on what you want/intend to do?

Davy

You can take a spur powering either 1 single or 1 double socket from a ring circuit using 2.5mm^2 twin and earth. Fitting a fused spur will allow you to add any number of sockets.

on the load side of course ;)

Sponsored Links
By 'spur' I mean a double socket on a single 2.5 twin & earth, straight from the fuseboard. The fuse board has no spare ways so I want to use an existing ring main. So in the 32 amp MCB I will have: ringmain in/out and my spur. Is this within regs?

Hope that makes sense!

Robert

ELZ4742 said:
its fine as long as you dont extend that to anymore than 1 socket :)
are you sure? i think what he actually means is he will have a radial (with only one socket outlet) and a ringmain on the same circuit braker. isnt there something about seperation of circuits in the regs? Im not sure on this (im not a spark) but i allwas thought 2 circuits from one braker was a very dark shade of gray area. as i say Im not 100% sure on this tho.

taking the spur from another socket outlet is fine tho.

sm1thson said:
ELZ4742 said:
its fine as long as you dont extend that to anymore than 1 socket :)
are you sure? i think what he actually means is he will have a radial (with only one socket outlet) and a ringmain on the same circuit braker. isnt there something about seperation of circuits in the regs? Im not sure on this (im not a spark) but i allwas thought 2 circuits from one braker was a very dark shade of gray area. as i say Im not 100% sure on this tho.

taking the spur from another socket outlet is fine tho.

i think you need to have a think about what your saying.
he wants to spur off the mcb which is no different to spuring off a socket.

So in the 32 amp MCB I will have: ringmain in/out and my spur

nothing about a radial there mate ;)

hi, yes its fine to take one un fused spur from origin of the circuit (the MCB). As long has the number of spurs doesnt exceed the amount of sockets and fixed equipment on the ring. :D

elz4742 I think he understood that it was a ring with a spur at the board just didnt no it was ok to do it.

he is right to a degree in what he is saying, which reads, you cannot put a radial and a ring main on the same circuit.
seperation of circuits
if you add anymore than 1 socket to the new one it turns from a spur to a radial.

dya see the confusion me ole mate?

ayen said:
elz4742 I think he understood that it was a ring with a spur at the board just didnt no it was ok to do it.
correct, i understand but want clarification if its allowed by regs. a bit of searching suggests 314-01-01 forbids it, but as i said i dont have a copy of the regs to check

ELZ4742 said:
if you add anymore than 1 socket to the new one it turns from a spur to a radial.

i am under the impression that even a single socket wired from an mcb is classed as a radial (unless wired as a ring final), arent cooker and shower circuits classed as radials? -again i am prepared to be wrong

i cant see anything inherently unsafe about wiring in this manner, but i belive things should be done to regs. talking of which it falls under part p also so should be notified or done by a registered spark. unless the op takes a fused spur off the ring then he isnt breaking any regs.

its good to question these matters mate ;)

what you are saying is logically spot on, but your thinking too much into it.

if you think about it the mcb acts in exactly the same way as a socket would in the sense that its just a connection point of the ring, so, its no different spuring a socket than it is to spuring an mcb.

i cant remember the laws on spuring a radial,which is what your suggesting with wirring from the mcb. perhapes someone else could jump in there...

hope this helps

Quote from OSG.

A non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin socket outlet or one permanently connected equipment.

Such as spur is connected to a circuit at the terminals of a socket outlet or at junction boxes or at the origin of the circuit in the distribution board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back