Sourcing a UPVC window - tips/tricks/guide - pics included?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Need to replace the whole upvc window (one next to satellite dish), as the frame has been cracked/broken by someone attempting forced entry (unsuccessfully) at some point with a crowbar (hard to see in pics).

I’m asking for advice on how to approach the task, so I get a good result.

I keep hearing horror stories of people ending up with poor hardware, poor installs, poor guarantees etc.

How should I go about sourcing a decent supplier/manufacturer/installer.

What so I be looking-out for in the quote?

What should I be looking for in the specifications?

Basically – looking for help to ensure I get a good install, value for money and a decent job done.

If you have any experience/knowledge/hints or tips that can help me get this done right, I would be most grateful for any contributions.

I would also be very grateful, if anyone could point me to resources that would help me in getting this job done well.

My sincere thanks,

SirLancelot

DSC03087.jpg DSC03089.jpg DSC03124.jpg DSC03135.jpg

Sponsored Links
Go with a local company for one.
Facebook is good for asking for local recommendations.
Ask if the fitters are employed or self employed. Employed is usually better.
Assuming the company are Fensa or Certass registered ask if their fitters and surveyors have MTC cards.

Other than that you cant go too far wrong with a modern A rated window that is internally beaded.

If you are worried about security you could ask for quotes with and without laminated glass on the external pane.

Basically - I want to avoid the pitfalls that seem to happen to the public in this area.

What should I ask for, what should be included - I want to avoid regrets or problems for what should be a straightforward job.

Been caught out by too many a cowboy, and now I have little tolerance for bull - I simply won't give trust away any more re buildingwork.

Please keep the suggestions flowing!

What questions - info and requirements should I be going in with, when approaching double gazers for this window.

SirLancelot.

Sponsored Links
As Gazman has already said . employed fitters don't work on ' piecework ' so generally do a better job.....make sure Certass or fensa , they HAVE to give you a 10 year Insurance backed warranty , it is a condition of the schemes. One of the fitters on site should also have an MTC card ( Minimum Technical Competency ) If they don't walk away!...DON'T use a fitter who uses Fensa's stupid Pay as you go scheme , they won't have MTC card , and they do not have to offer the Insurance Backed Warranty......

For security , Toughened Glass or Laminate glass to help reduce the risk of someone breaking the glass. Would also ask for casement restrictors too , as if the sash is force it will only open a small way from outside. and are easily detached from inside in case of fire....

Guessing bedroom window , so you will need fire egress hinges too. Shootbolt locks , which , when the window locks will put part of the locking mechanism into locking points at top and bottom of lock side of sash. ' A' rated window ...needs to include at least diamant glass, warm edge spacer bar ( normally ' swiss spacer ' ) , Argon gas , Planitherm Glass....

Hope that helps ..... can't see you being able to do much more about security unless you add sashlocks after the installation, but very unlikely a company will want to do that on a Fire Escape window before it has been registered with Certass/Fensa

All i will say , is without wishing to scare you , a burglar , if they so wish will always find a way in , all you can do is make it as hard as possible ,,,maybe a fake burglar alarm box by the window might act as an extra deterrent.....

Don't agree with the mtc card comments. We have been going for over 30 years and have been fensa registered since it started. We do not have mtc cards and employ our fitters.

How do you get round the MTC card then? As Certass members we were told ( by Certass ) that at least one fitter on site has to have one, and that they were now a requirement of Fensa/Certass

We have had nothing from fensa about mtc cards only what we have heard and in the press. We are still fensa registered and can still register jobs. When they decide to catch up with us then we will either have to apply or go payg but that don't mean we are bad fitters

not saying it makes a bad fitter either ...as I think the whole system is flawed, but fensa were pushing this as a way to say the fitters were good....didn't realise they were so far behind still!

We have had nothing from fensa about mtc cards only what we have heard and in the press. We are still fensa registered and can still register jobs. When they decide to catch up with us then we will either have to apply or go payg but that don't mean we are bad fitters

Fensa have so say upped their game in freezing the accounts of companies who don't have a MTC fitter on each job. (We'll see)
The fact that companies have no MTC card holders yet are still able to certify installations online just proves how poor the overall Fensa online system is.
MTC is government pushed, I've been told Fensa had no option but to take it on. Shambles from the start where it was extended a by a year, basically because no one gave a toss, a year later they realised that there were still many fitters (subbies) that refused to apply, Fensa then threatened companies with frozen accounts to try and force the hand of their fitters, again many companies/and subbies not giving a hoot which led lastly to Fensa offering the pointless pay as you go route.
All round waste of time and waste of money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back