Sourcing Doors For Garden Workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am building a small workshop in my garden and have started a thread here.
Before I start laying the walls I need to know what doors and windows I am going to fit but I am having trouble trying to source them.

The shed will consist of a block wall about three course high painted cream to match our garage) on top of which will be a wood clad frame and a grey fibreglass roof similar to the pic below.

I would like a door similar colour and style to the one in this pic to suit the walls:

Yte230G.png

Also looking for a window in the same style as the door.
I'd like UPVC or an external wood door.

Any ideas where I could get these from? I live in North Devon.

Sponsored Links
You can get doors made to measure from any double glazing company, I'm sure you must of come across some at some point where you live. The colour of the door and windows look like English or Irish oak, definitely not light oak. The English and Irish oak are both the same colour as each other but the grain is different, see here.....

Irish oak

2017-08-14-10-00-07-.jpg

English oak

images-2.jpg

If and when you do get round to specifying the doors and windows just inform the maker that they're going into a stud arrangement with cladding and you want the outer frame made out of odd leg sash profile, they'll know what you mean, it's how they're made for mobile homes.

The door style is basically a '2XG' style, i.e. glass above with an flat infill panel below, the windows are straight forward split into thirds with 2 side openers

If you need help sourcing the frames then Gazman or DH frames who are both on this site and located in the south west would be sure to help you out

You can get doors made to measure from any double glazing company, I'm sure you must of come across some at some point where you live. The colour of the door and windows look like English or Irish oak, definitely not light oak. The English and Irish oak are both the same colour as each other but the grain is different, see here.....

Irish oak

View attachment 124947

English oak

View attachment 124948

If and when you do get round to specifying the doors and windows just inform the maker that they're going into a stud arrangement with cladding and you want the outer frame made out of odd leg sash profile, they'll know what you mean, it's how they're made for mobile homes.

The door style is basically a '2XG' style, i.e. glass above with an flat infill panel below, the windows are straight forward split into thirds with 2 side openers

If you need help sourcing the frames then Gazman or DH frames who are both on this site and located in the south west would be sure to help you out

Sorry very new at this and I have only ever fitted one door which was a replacement UPVC which came with a frame and was just bolted into the brick door frame.

Do I need to line the door gap with a timber frame to fix the door and its frame into or will the outer frame 'odd leg sash profile' be able to be fixed to the block walls on the lower part of the door and a timber frame at the top.

Also for the door should my timber frame on which my wood cladding will go be flush at the front with the block walls?

I may of misunderstood you when you said 3 courses will be block, I assumed the rest would be timber studding with cladding as per your picture, if it's all going to be block work and then clad albeit from 3 courses up then order a standard door frame and fix into the blocks as normal, even if it were studding you would use 3" wood screws through the pvc into the timber.

Set the door back so the inside frame is flush with the inside of the block work, the outside will need to be finished with cheeks like this.....

images-4.jpg
images-3.jpg

Sponsored Links
I may of misunderstood you when you said 3 courses will be block, I assumed the rest would be timber studding with cladding as per your picture, if it's all going to be block work and then clad albeit from 3 courses up then order a standard door frame and fix into the blocks as normal, even if it were studding you would use 3" wood screws through the pvc into the timber.

Set the door back so the inside frame is flush with the inside of the block work, the outside will need to be finished with cheeks like this.....

View attachment 124950 View attachment 124951
No you didn't miss understand its me confusing you. The lower part of the shed will be three courses of blocks and the a timber frame will sit on top of this to make up the upper walls of the shed. Only the timber frame will be clad with T&G not Featherboard.

So the door will sit back in the door recess flush with the inside of the block work with trim around the outer edge covering the block, timber and cladding.

Yes sit the door back so the inside is flush with the studwork and screw direct into the studs after squaring the door frame up, then form some cheeks around the 3 sides to which you will butt up your featheredge boards up to as in my first picture above, the bottom of the door will have a 150mm deep cill so won't need a cheek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back