Spa Bath - Possible airlock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a system pool spa bath from around 2000 from what I know, which I have only used once up till now when I first moved in 2012.

Today I filled it up and put some chlorine granules in to disinfect it and it was working fine until I turned it off briefly to fully open all the jets. When I turned it back on, the pump just hummed for a few seconds before cutting out.

I have since tried draining and refilling the bath, loosing's the bottom union on the pump to check for air, and trying to suck water through the jets. Sometimes a few air bubbles may come through, but pump always cuts out after a few seconds.

I am now wondering if it is a simple air lock or something else like a blockage or blow start/run capacitor?

Also in video form:

Regards: Elliott

Sponsored Links
Update: Found the problem, 12 uF Run capacitor has died and is in a short circuit state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back