space?

B

B.O.B DOLE

do you think there is an end to space i do i cant see space going on forever i think there will be some kind of wall which nothing can pass into or enter, i cant see any purpose for it in the first place empty space what is the point to it once we over take all the galaxy,s there will be nothing but blackness so why would this blackness go on forever seems a bit odd to me

Sponsored Links
B.O.B DOLE said:
so why would this blackness go on forever seems a bit odd to me

it doesnt, we are actually in a left luggage container in a bus station (see MIB II)

Thats because you have applied the vane reasoning of a mere mortal who thinks that it all revolves around what you see as making sense.

Jesus man if we cant even cure a common cold what chance have we got of working the universe out?????????

Space will not go on forever as the universe is expanding into it.

Sponsored Links
Bob's getting philosophical on us again! :LOL:

Good question though. Space is a funny old thing. Is there space outside the universe?

The 4 forces we know and love (gravity, electromagnetic, strong and weak) weren't always 4 separate forces. At the point of the Big Bang, they were all one. However, as the universe cooled and expanded (spacetime foam, primordeal soup, lovely expressions like that come up!), they separated out into 4 separate forces (or 4 properties of one force) This is why physicists love to talk about "Grand Unified Theories", or GUTs.

Now, everything that you experience is governed by these forces. Perhaps there is stuff that is governed by forces we are unaware of, but that's getting way too into philosophy for me. However, without those 4 basic forces we would have some problems

Weak force: quarks couldn't turn into other quarks, therefore nuclear fusion couldn't happen, and stars wouldn't work
Gravitational force: to be honest, if you are way out into deep space, you wouldn't miss it.
electromagnetic force: well, the atoms in your body wouldn't stay stuck together, you would evaporate into a puff of hydrogen, oxygen, calcium and iron
Strong force: this is the fun one. That puff of atoms you've become, well, the nucleii would all explode now! Yay!

As far as we know, and theory means we are confident about this, these 4 forces (and indeed, the original unified force) only exists within the universe.

However, you know how physicists also love banging particles together in particle accelerators? One reason for doing this is to produce highly energetic collisions, reminiscent of the conditions at the very early stages of the universe. They observe these, stroke their beards and come up with reasons why things happen the way they do, and what happened when the universe was still hot and energetic.

Today the universe is far less energetic so you could reproduce our 4 forces with much less energy.

So, provided that a) the universe is expanding at a speed less than light, and b) you can travel faster than the universe is expanding, it is possible, JUST POSSIBLE that you could reach and pass the edge of the universe, and survive within a particle accelerator of some design in order to keep you in the realm of the 4 forces.

However, so that the particle accelerator could remain intact without evaporating into pure energy, it would have to be entirely inside itself. So you could have the particle collisions going off all around you, and thus make some kind of bubble of space-time around your whole contraption.

To be honest, I couldn't recommend such a journey. But it is possible. Perhaps. Maybe.

perhaps we are thinking one dimensionally? maybe there is no end but merely another beginning, by that i mean space bolts onto another universe, perhaps we are part of a bigger entity a small building block of something bigger?
one thing is the way we are going we won't be around to find the answer.

Don't tell anyone, but we are all actually in a jam jar in a laborotory as part of some ones experiment, next week he'll take the lid off and we'll all be gonners.

B.O.B DOLE
do you think there is an end to space i do i cant see space going on forever i think there will be some kind of wall which nothing can pass into or enter, i cant see any purpose for it in the first place empty space what is the point to it once we over take all the galaxy,s there will be nothing but blackness so why would this blackness go on forever seems a bit odd to me
Just read this, my 1st thought was I reckon this was posted after a beer or two, nothing on tv & its seems quite in the forumn, lets see if anyone is there. B.O.B tell me how many I got right. :LOL:

Diyisfun said:
B.O.B DOLE
Just read this, my 1st thought was I reckon this was posted after a beer or two, nothing on tv & its seems quite in the forumn, lets see if anyone is there. B.O.B tell me how many I got right. :LOL:

well diyfun cant quit get your drift if you wanna moan at my thread great
i love upsetting people.

B.O.B,..Whatever makes you think I was moaning.
It just seemed like a day dream thing..Similar to why does buttered toast land butter side down..
Have a nice day.

kendor said:
perhaps we are thinking one dimensionally? .

Three dimensionally (length, width and dept), so in our eyes we can't 'see' (understand) anything unendless: there has to be something otherwise it does our heads in.

(And if there's nothing, we will make something up)

WoodYouLike said:
kendor said:
perhaps we are thinking one dimensionally? .

Three dimensionally (length, width and dept), so in our eyes we can't 'see' (understand) anything unendless: there has to be something otherwise it does our heads in.

(And if there's nothing, we will make something up)
not in terms of a singularity being that space was there already. or should it be non dimensional?

I'm sure you're right :D
But I meant: we, humble creatures, can't get our head around things that doesn't seem to have an 'end'.

WoodYouLike said:
I'm sure you're right :D
But I meant: we, humble creatures, can't get our head around things that doesn't seem to have an 'end'.
very true!

Well what or :) wherever it is it`ll be spherical Like all the planets,atoms etc. but so vast that .."up close" it appears dead flat. And from the other side equidistant it should appear concave.

Sponsored Links
Back