spacers in or out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the best way, to put the spacer cross in to the tile ..grout over
or just use as a peg and remove when set great to hear what way is the most popular.

Sponsored Links
what is the best way, to put the spacer cross in to the tile ..grout over
or just use as a peg and remove when set great to hear what way is the most popular.

I've put them in both ways before Jacko....but if you do leave the spacers in, just make sure they're far enough below the surface of the tiles,so as to get a good covering of grout over them. Nothing looks worse than to see them showing through the surface of the grout.

Roughcaster.

For me it's out, just to ensure none of the tiles get placed on top of one which makes for messy spacer repositioning etc
Slide tile into place, butt up to adjoining, then slide out enough to insert the spacer leg as a peg - remove once adhesive has gone off.

im a tight bugger so leave em so i can grab em and re use em!

lots of bad grammer and spelling there but it is friday :cool:

Sponsored Links
Yep, I remove them too. Looks terrible on floors if you leave them in - a few years worth of mopping and the grout will wear down and the spacers will be visible.

Be careful when using spacers as if the tiles are'nt square they will throw your lines out

If the tiles arn't square . . . .

Or vary in size . . .

Use cardboard from the pack where you need to vary the gap a little!

You can rarely just chuck spacers between tiles and expect them to produce perfectly even grout lines. Tiles are always slightly different sizes, and the edges are often at different angles to the face - even in the same batch. I see spacers as essential to keep tiles in position, but you might not push them all the way in on some joints, and maybe use wedges on some others. All depends on how it looks - so really you're going by eye..

Oh, and definitely pull them out...

Good post, Artisan. I couldn't have put it better myself.

(Except that sometimes I knock the spacers back rather than risk knocking the glaze off.)

Yes I really do get that sometimes. Not often though.

so having them the shape of a cross is pointless then..i see rubi supply just pegs

They're far from pointless - each cross helps to align the four tiles that surround it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back