Spalling Bricks & Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

I am in the process of purchasing a forever home, the survey highlighted issues on the gable end. So, it is a 150 years old farmhouse and I can see spalled bricks and gaps on the roof line where bricks and timber is missing...

should I be put off? Am I going to spend 5k, 25k to put it right?

Any thoughts greatfully received,
Chris

Attachments

• 4623E95E-CADA-45E0-957F-BCF6E1C20D42.jpeg
    4623E95E-CADA-45E0-957F-BCF6E1C20D42.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Didn't your survey highlight that the spalling brickwork relates to the flue?

That's less than £5k to rectify.

So, it is a 150 years old farmhouse

I'm not seeing anything other than it needs a bit of tidying up. It's obviously a solid wall, and I think it just needs a little re-pointing (using lime mortar- hopefully better than the bit lower down the wall...) I'm sure it's good for many more years, and the "wear"is just part of the character. Looks pretty solid!.

Thank you for the feedback,

the surveyor did note the chimney as an influence, the words ‘cost to repair should not be underestimated’ put me off as I have no experience with period houses yet.

Thanks Again
Chris

Sponsored Links
the words ‘cost to repair should not be underestimated’ put me off as I have no experience with period houses yet.

Bear in mind my opinion is that of a layman (but I have worked a bit on "period" houses, only not professionally). If it was a cavity wall, then you could very simply drop the outer skin and rebuild it. It's not - it's obviously a solid wall and to take it down or partially down and reinstate it would be a bit more work because the wall holds up the roof - you can see the ends of the purlins supported by the wall. However, I would look at it as 150 years of weather has caused some spalling and a little degradation to pointing. The pointing can be easily repaired (and to my mind, there isn't even much of that - it looks like the mortar beds are narrow and tight), and the spalling, in my mind, is mainly cosmetic. It would be possible to replace the odd brick if you wanted to remove the worst ones.

I suspect, left untouched, it would all still be standing a very long time in to the future.

That's a relatively simple job to replace those bricks, or even turn them around.

The hardest bit will be sourcing any new bricks to match, and sourcing someone skilled enough to do the work and not leaving looking 10x worse than it does now

I was going to price the job, then realized you said 'not leaving', didn't see the not.
I'm feeling all guilty now. :cry:
Never mind, looks like there's some gardening work to be done.

OP, that Ivy needs removing urgently, did your surveyor mention it? You'll need someone who can leave it looking 10x as messy, and if they charge dayworks then all the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back