Span table that includes 250 x 47mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find a span table that has the above size on it.

Does it exist?

I've got a flat roof that looking at the tables I can find a 220 x 47 isn't quite strong enough but 250 x 47 could work.

To go up to the larger 3'' width stuff could add a fairly significant price to the roof so I'm just considering options currently so see if it would work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'm waiting on a quote back for I beams.

I'm just considering all options at the moment.

The span tables usually give spacings for the joists- typically 400/450/500 mm etc.

If a 220 x 47 isn't 'quite strong enough', have you considered using that section size but at closer spacings, eg 350mm, or even 325mm?

That way, each joist is carrying less load and the bending stress and deflection will be correspondingly less.

Sponsored Links
The span tables usually give spacings for the joists- typically 400/450/500 mm etc.

If a 220 x 47 isn't 'quite strong enough', have you considered using that section size but at closer spacings, eg 350mm, or even 325mm?

That way, each joist is carrying less load and the bending stress and deflection will be correspondingly less.
And how is the OP meant to prove that this idea is adequate?

That's the whole point of span tables, use the tables and you don't need to prove anything. Don't use the tables and you do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back