Spanner? - An easy one

Oi!! I thought it was a thread about spanners, now it's turned into The Dan & Knobby the Farm Hand Show!!
Yes! back to the OP.

Now Dan did you use an adjustable wrench or a filed down spanner for this work? Careful how you answer that, Argyll is watching, your professional status could be on the line. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Not sure those have the precision milled surfaces that bacho tools have.
Maybe Chinese.
I believe that many of Monuments tools are made in Britain.

Are their tools fairly well respected? However I might be thinking about Rothenberger tools.
The Monument version does not have the wow factor IMO, it looks decidedly British, the Toolstation version looks much better. It just comes down to functionality and whether it holds tight or slips.

I have been reading a number of reviews from different places that the quality of the recent Bacho adjustables does seem to be lower now and it does appear that they are now no longer made in Sweden and are now made in Asia, probably Taiwan like many of the copies. That makes sense to me, make a name and then move manufacturing to Asia to lower costs. Many companies probably use the same manufacturing facilities. One review on Amazon does sound a little suspicious because it mentions the Eclipse brand. However those are more expensive than the Bacho on Amazon but can be found slightly cheaper elsewhere but still cost a little bit more with delivery included.

I wonder if the faithfull version is made in the UK?

I don't think that I can justify spending the extra on a name so I will probably purchase a copy at a lower price.

It would be interesting to know the "made in..." of the recent Bacho wrenches.

I'm not decided yet and I am not ready to order because I need a few other things which I have not yet worked out. I do not require it ATM so I will see what develops and update this thread when I make a decision and my thoughts when I receive it.

What beats me is after 40 odd years of using all kinds of adjustable spanners, why when I am reaching up behind a bath or somewhere similar do I get a mental block about which way to wind the adjuster :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It might be senility. lol

Providing you can find and operate your flies quickly enough into your old age, operating a wrench probably won't seem that important.

Sponsored Links
Bahco is the premier tool manufacturer in Sweden. They merged/bought Sandvik which is where their fish logo comes from. As far as I know most of Bahco's production is still in Sweden. I've also seen a number of Bahco's pliers that are made in France. Since Snap-On bought them, their manufacturing has been splintered a little more. There is USA Bahco merchandise, but I believe that this is coming out of the Williams plant in Atlanta. I have also seen Bahco Taiwan/China, but only in odd gardening tools.

The story I heard was that they tried a broader push of their tool line into England and America and it flopped. That's why there was a flood of Bahco merchandise on the closeout market. I think the quality is great, but the prices they were asking were too high for a tool name that nobody had heard of.

These days made in china or Taiwan usually means better quality than MiE.

Britool and Beta make high quality adjustables also. Though not suitable for cheapskates.
I have a 15" Beta which is very beefy compared to the bacho.

The Bahco copper tube cutter I bought last year were complete cr.p & fell to bits. Their adjustable spanners are now manufactured in China, like their Stilison wrenches.

The Bahco copper tube cutter I bought last year were complete cr.p & fell to bits. Their adjustable spanners are now manufactured in China, like their Stilison wrenches.

I thought they were Spanish now, but agree they are complete rubbish. It's getting harder and harder to find quality tools. I now just scour ebay for 'vintage' ones.

I thought they were Spanish now, but agree they are complete rubbish. It's getting harder and harder to find quality tools. I now just scour ebay for 'vintage' ones.

Quality tools are available if you know where to look. Cheapskates use
ebay..
Try these....
http://imperial-tools.com/products/tube-working-tools/tube-cutters

Quality tools are available if you know where to look. Cheapskates use
ebay..
Try these....
http://imperial-tools.com/products/tube-working-tools/tube-cutters[/QUOTE]

I'm struggling to find any adjustable spanners there...

Open your eyes to ebay and you might realize the savings you can make, if only from all the guys on contract selling their inhibitor for 1/4 of the price of merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back