Spark in Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently had some new electrics done at home. Had four new lights put in running off a new double switch. I've noticed that I see an occasion spark from inside the switch when I turn off the switch which operates 3 lights. It was only done about a week ago and I am worried about the safety.

Can you tell me whether you think that something is wrong? Can I resolve it? Should I get the electrician back (although am worried if he's got this wrong whether I actually want hi to do any further work).

Cheers,
Emma

Sponsored Links
you can get this with cheap switches. If its really bad ask them to come back and fit a decent branded switch such as MK.

David

It shouldn't be dangerous. Every electrical switch will arc to a certain extend.

A arc is just electricity travelling through the air just before the connection is maken or broken.

If it's a major problem or annoyance, you can either get an electrician, or if your confident, do it yourself.

Sponsored Links
dw3101 said:
you can get this with cheap switches. If its really bad ask them to come back and fit a decent branded switch such as MK.
I have noticed some of my socket and wall light does spark sometime and they are all MK ! Is it faulty or nothing to worry about ?

it also depends on the load they are switching off and is it dark.

kettles are usually good in the dark (if kettle is still switched on when you turn it off at socket)

In power stations they have "air blast circuit breakers" you think your little spark is bad, they have a balst of air to "blow out" the ark

To blow out the ark, Breezer?

What's Noah got to do with it? :D

All I can say is, if there's a spark in your switch, unscrew it and let the poor b*gg*r out!!

I dont think the air is to blow the spark out.

I know why some contacts are in oil though.

air blasts are one known way to disrupt an arc

such methods are generally not used in low voltage systems though only in HV distribution

Arc relies on ionised gas to carry the current. If you get rid of the ions by pushing them out of the way, no more arc. Ions only got created because when the breaker first opened there was a very small gap and hence very high electric field (V/m) between contacts. Enough to rip the electrons off the poor b*gg*rs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back