speaker system farce

Come on Crafty get a grip. Do as trazor and tim have suggested and turn the grill over. The grills are removable - they just pull off have a look at 3.30 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIlusDi1A6w you can clearly see this numpty pulling one off (ooer). ;)
I have the Z-680 set and the grills just pull off those the same. There's a plastic pin in each corner that holds in it place. Be brave. :D

Sponsored Links
OK OK OK I know the grills are removable, they practically fall off at the slightest touch. Mouting it upside down IS an option, however the speakers are designed to be used with or without the grill cloth (mine are the nice pointy silver driver units shown in the video). The logos printed on the speaker itself would be upside down, were I to remove the cloth. :(

Anyway this is all immaterial now, I'm going to have to send these back because they have an internal fault - the sound keeps going silent one speaker at a time after a couple of hours use. Its not overheating, and im not playing them loud.

I just played a 50Hz test tone on them and the room shook :LOL: Great speakers, just niggly little faults i guess.

gcol, dont you wish you had this set? :LOL:

vokera, my uncle has some denon kit. very good stuff. bit pricey though.

scatmanjohn, i doubt the bracket would bend either, but with the pressure on the screw holes and their location, the speaker would be pulled away pretty soon.

Still no response from logitech yet. They're still studying my diagram!

Crafty said:
gcol, dont you wish you had this set? :LOL:
No thanks, mine work beautifully, shake the room just fine and I have the opportunity to use higher quality speaker cable if I wish so (I haven't done yet mind ;) ) - the Z5500 are hard wired into the sub aren't they?
The Z680 satellites have fully removable brackets too :p
Really need to raise the centre speaker a little - I fit the speakers before buying a bigger monitor.

P1000462.jpg

you said

Therefore the weight of the speaker (about a kilogram) above the mounting will pull the bracket away from the wall, bending it too.

then

i doubt the bracket would bend either

:confused:

What are to going to fasten it to?

Sponsored Links
OK, I was wrong about fig 4. :oops:

But seriously, is this an issue? If you're happy with the quality of the speakers (and it does indeed look like a good system, my credit card is quivering), then to moan about the mounting arrangements is somewhat punitive.

You're on a DIY forum and clearly not lacking in practical skill - what I'd do is build myself a little floating shelf, matt painted the same colour as the wall, and use it in the desktop position, possibly making the shelf a bit wider than neccessary so you can accommodate the speaker and a couple of other decorative items, so the whole thing looks like it was a deliberate design feature....

The swivel screw should be removable.
The 'resin' or whatever, is most likely to prevent the screw vibrating loose, I can imagine no other use for it, the nut is captive so should not turn, you may need to be a little forceful with a well fitting screwdriver.

eg. I usually treat 'new' spectacle frame, screw threads, to a 'dab' of super glue, stops 'em loosening under general usage but a firm screwdriving easily releases the locked thread.
:cool:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Logitech Z 5500 Digital Computer Speaker:1991622008:page=user-reviews
Quote:
The *only* drawback is the design of the swivel bases on the sattellites -- whoever designed this obviously didn't have to use them. First, the swivel only rotates 180 degrees -- all in the exact same direction: left. What this means is if you want to mount these on walls, well you'll end up being stuck with one at a weirdly canted angle. I ended up mounting them upside down screwed into the ceiling joists and pointed basically in the direction I wanted them.

At first, I thought these may have had some strange way to rotate the base by unscrewing the base, but this was a colossal mistake becaus the base is held on by a nut inside the speaker housing that came off after I unscrewed it -- bad move there. Luckily, the rubber cover holders also serve as hidey-holes for the face mounting screws, and a few minutes later I had my sattellite reassembled and ready for action.

7948.jpg

..Do not remove the screw that is on the base of the speaker. The speaker base cannot be reattached if the screw is removed...

empip said:
7948.jpg

..Do not remove the screw that is on the base of the speaker. The speaker base cannot be reattached if the screw is removed...

Yes. This is why the screws on the left and right sattelites are resin filled. IMO, it looks like they got carried away with the resin and thought sod it lets do the centre one too.

Empip, the resin is all over the screw heads, in order that you cannot get a screwdriver in them.

gcol that article has nothing to do with the centre satellite.

Clear the screw socket using a pointy instrument or very carefully use a small drill bit on low revs... Don't worry too much about cosmetically damaging the screw it can always be replaced.
I would then expect a well fitting driver to break the bond .. It will not be too easy, otherwise after several boomingly vibrational sessions there could be a Kilo of speaker embedded in someone.

:eek:

Crafty, I have the same set of speakers... Looking at my own center speaker, the offending screw appears to be fully accessible.

I also just unscrewed it and flipped the base around the same way you were hoping to do with no problems (well, almost lost the nut when it fell out...). And looking at my satellites, I'm not seeing any resin sealing on the screws there either.

I think it's probable that you just got an anomaly, and most of the Z-5500 sets come with the screws unsealed (or there is for some obscure reason a difference in the manufacturing of units bound for the UK and units bound for the US). Hopefully when Logitech sends a replacement, you'll have a resin-free experience. ;)

Skott said:
Crafty, I have the same set of speakers... Looking at my own center speaker, the offending screw appears to be fully accessible.

I also just unscrewed it and flipped the base around the same way you were hoping to do with no problems (well, almost lost the nut when it fell out...). And looking at my satellites, I'm not seeing any resin sealing on the screws there either.

I think it's probable that you just got an anomaly, and most of the Z-5500 sets come with the screws unsealed (or there is for some obscure reason a difference in the manufacturing of units bound for the UK and units bound for the US). Hopefully when Logitech sends a replacement, you'll have a resin-free experience. ;)
Thanks Skott, I seem to remember reading somewhere that this set of speakers (or parts therein) is manufactured in one of 3 facilities in 3 different countries, so quality control may be to different standards.

Sponsored Links
Back