Speaking of TV licenses . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got sent a TV/DVD combi at work, for watching training DVDs. It is capable of recieving external broadcasts through an aerial, but it has no aerial, is in a **** poor reception area, and I have put up signs around the TV saying "do not attempt to recieve outside broadcasts with this television".

We do not have a TV license.

Is my company being illegal? They have 2500 stores, everyone get sent a TV/DVD. :eek:

Sponsored Links
AFAIK - NO, if you would need an aerial connected to it to be able to receive wireless transmissions then you are complying with the licensing and do not need one.

To be even sure just make sure that it is detuned & cannot receive anything even if there was an aerial plugged into it.

In ye old days we'd glue the tuning wheels, its a bit of a problem now.
(perhaps fill the aerial connector with epoxy).

Years ago when living in a shared house, we decided to save money and not to watch broadcast TV. We detuned the TVs and disconnected the aerial which was sent round the house by a signal booster. We plugged the VCR into it instead to be able to watch videos all over the house. One day we duly got a knock on the door from an inspector, we took him round the house, showed him the disconnected aerial, and demonstrated that the TVs were detuned. He was happy that we didn't need a licence and sent us a letter accordingly.

You don't need a licence also the inspectors are from a private company and do not have any powers to inspect you. You can simply say to them I don't need a licence as I am not watching TV on these premises, so go away.

Sponsored Links
I thought they used a van that traced the signal to your house/flat?

That's what they like everyone to believe but in reality if they exist at all they are few and far between.

But seeing as how they claim that they can detect you using a TV then if an inspector turns up politely tell them that they have no reason to enter your premises as they have highly publicised methods to detect TV use without requiring access to your house.

We have not had a TV licence for a couple of years now as we don't watch any TV. If an inspector ever turns up I will tell them where to go.

Whether or not you use the TV to watch any broadcast signal, you need a licence.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp#link1[/QUOTE]

I don't see why you claim that. Your link says:

" You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.."

From the same site

Do I need a TV Licence for my business?

You need a TV Licence for your business if you or any of your staff, guests or visitors uses any TV receiving equipment at your business address to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

This includes the use of a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, computer or mobile phone.

You don't need a TV Licence if:

You use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.
You use a TV set or computer monitor for closed circuit monitoring and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.
You use a TV set or computer to watch only pre-recorded DVDs or videos (e.g. for training purposes) and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.

Do I need a TV Licence?

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

Quote...."You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set".

That is quite clear and unambiguous.
Detuning/removing aerial/ can easily be reversed in seconds.

to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

so if you aren't USING it to watch or record TV programmes WHILE THEY'RE BEING BROADCAST you don't need a licence

nothing in there about having a device that you COULD use but aren't

That's also why Trazor isn't guilty of adultery.

or you could simply phone up the licenence people and get the definitive answer :rolleyes:

to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

so if you aren't USING it to watch or record TV programmes WHILE THEY'RE BEING BROADCAST you don't need a licence

nothing in there about having a device that you COULD use but aren't

That's also why Trazor isn't guilty of adultery.

Hmm, so you could use a PVR lagged by at least the live broadcast and be legal?

Sponsored Links
Back