Speaking of TV licenses . . .

to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

so if you aren't USING it to watch or record TV programmes WHILE THEY'RE BEING BROADCAST you don't need a licence

nothing in there about having a device that you COULD use but aren't.

The Excuse that, we never watch TV/we have detuned it /we have unplugged the aerial. etc.etc. will not stand up in court.
If you have a television CAPABLE OF receiving broadcasts you will need a license.

That's also why Trazor isn't guilty of adultery.

How dare you reveal my lack of appeal to the opposite sex........ :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do I need a TV Licence for my business?

You don't need a TV Licence if:

You use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.
You use a TV set or computer monitor for closed circuit monitoring and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.
You use a TV set or computer to watch only pre-recorded DVDs or videos (e.g. for training purposes) and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.

Igor's post answers Steve's question, if only for business use.

to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

so if you aren't USING it to watch or record TV programmes WHILE THEY'RE BEING BROADCAST you don't need a licence

nothing in there about having a device that you COULD use but aren't

Hmm, so you could use a PVR lagged by at least the live broadcast and be legal?
NO! A PVR records the live broadcast in order to "lag" it!!!!

Sponsored Links
The only way you can be enforced to have a tv licence is when the officer arrives at your door with his hand held detector proving signals are being emitted and gives you a warning of an impending fine or pay up for the licence.
Thats what happened to my neighbour.
Ain't happened to me though. :eek:
As for the letters you just dump them on the fire along with all the other trash. :rolleyes:

Its got to be illegal watching those dodgy DVD's in the first place.

nothing in there about having a device that you COULD use but aren't

Hmm, so you could use a PVR lagged by at least the live broadcast and be legal?
NO! A PVR records the live broadcast in order to "lag" it!!!!

Oh, yeah, sorry, i didn't see the second bit (even though its in huge writing), lucky I haven't got a PVR then! Still waiting for the free sat one :(

Gents, having been through this many time in the past and having seen the results of contacting the tv licensing people and whatthe law says.

YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE IF YOU ARE NOT WATCHING BROADCASTED PROGRAMS, YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE JUST TO WATCH DVD'S OR VIDEOS.

Simple.

For the circumstances the OP defines, he does NOT need a license.

He will however be pestered by the licensing authority forever more because they will not believe them :D

This is why you do not need a license to watch the BBC Iplayer

That is 100% correct.

You only need a TV license if...

A. You watch broadcast TV, It does not matter if you have a TV that is capable of being used for TV reception. If it is not used to receive TV a license is not required.

B. You use a recording device (VCR/PVR) to record broadcast TV to watch later. If the VCR is only used to watch video's that are not recorded from TV, i.e films that are purchased or hired or home video footage then a license is not required. A license is required if however you wish to play tapes that have been recorded from a broadcast. So if for example a friend lends you a tape of a football game recorded off Sky Sports you should have a license.

You do not need a TV license to use the iPlayer as it is not required in their terms and conditions and it is not covered by the TV license mandate as it is not broadcast TV.

The TV Licensing people are a private company employed by the BBC to collect Licence subscriptions. They are not a government agency and have no rights or powers to inspect you.

So the original poster does not require a TV licence. In order to avoid being misused by an employee however it would be a good idea to do what you can to prevent it being used. Detuning it and perhaps even gluing up the aerial port would help prevent misuse that would result in requiring a TV licence.

or you could simply phone up the licenence people and get the definitive answer :rolleyes:

Do you honestly believe that they would give you a clear, honest answer? I don't.

They'll write whatever confusing waffle they can so that everyone believes they need to have a licence (for a mobile phone, FFS!) when in fact they may not need one.

They are in it for your money.

If you have a television CAPABLE OF receiving broadcasts you will need a license.

I have a car capable of travelling at 100mph. Should the police start sending me threatening letters telling me they are going to fine me for speeding because the car is capable?

What something is capable of, and what something is used for, are commonly two different things.

Sponsored Links
Back