Spear & jackson chainsaw - chain question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I've got a Spear and Jackson chainsaw but stupidly put the user guide manual in a safe place, so safe I can't find the darn thing.

having just bought a sharpening file for it, I don't know what angle to sharpen the teeth, any ideas, it's model SPJS3740 37cc... all the file says is know the angle of your chain from the user guide before sharpening.

How do i found out the angle?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Takes a fair bit of practice to do these right Kelly but if you want to have a go, the angle you are looking for is typically 25 degrees across the chain, and about 10 degrees with the file end pointing upwards.....sorry to be confusing a bit! You can get guides to use with your file - you keep the guide parallel with the chain bar, usually.
Have the saw chain tight and hold the chain bar in a vice when you do this.
I find its best to keep spare chains for mine - one on the saw, one to go on the saw when the first one gets blunt and one being professionally sharpened (about £8 usually).
John :)

I figured professional sharpening would be more than that for some reason, considering the amount I use the saw that's probably the better option.

Cheers for the advice though, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back