Spectacle / Glasses Protection When Using Rollers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi members,just a query.Are there any spectacle / glasses wearers
On the forum like I am.?Plenty I recon.
When using the roller on smooth or even rough surfaces I`m thinking
Of investing in a face visor to protect my very expensive spectacles.
My dentist has the ideal ones,I recon but they ar`nt available to the general
Public.Are there any alternatives to face visors ?

Answers much appreciated.

Lewis Doubtfire.

Normal off the shelf visors I think are too cumbersome.

Sponsored Links
have a bucket of clean warm water handy, wash the paint off before it dries.

Sponsored Links
Hi, here is painting tip for you, especially when using a roller.

Vaseline. :?:

Yep, good old vaseline.

This is a trick I learnt as a pro painter working in remote areas with no cleaning or washing facilities.

If you smear around your eyes VERY CAREFULLY and making sure non gets in the eyes (leave a gap around th eyes of course) and then smear your face and hands etc with vaseline, cleaning off any on the palms of your hands where you will be gripping the roller.

Once you have finished, simply get a roll of kitchen paper and wipe it all off and hey presto the paint will come off with the vaseline and as you would have had an oily substance on your skin, none of the paint will have soaked in!

:D

Vaseline and barrier creams are not much use on your glasses, which was the original question :)

I just wash it off as soon as the room is done, or pick it off later with a fingernail.

As a general question, does rollering ALWAYS spatter, or are some paints/roller combos more prone to it?

Some rollers combined with certain paints throw nearly as much off
As ya put on the wall or ceiling :rolleyes: :cry: :LOL: :LOL: :mrgreen:
Like you say my original question has gone a little off topic.
I think visors are the way to go,probably the dentist type ones.
I `ve possibly answered my own question.

Lewis Doubtfire

I second DCDEC,

I seldom roll without an extension pole. I even have some that are as short as 12", others that will reach the top of a 2 story house..

The pole allows you to both be further away, ie out of the splatter zone and allows you to use less energy, relying on your body weight rather than one arm.

For years many of the other tradesmen in my local refused to believe that I decorate because I seldom get paint on myself.

Other than the paint/roller combination the amount of pressure applied will have a bearing on the splatter level.

I use the Purdy Colossus which I find splatters less than the short pile Purdy Dove (I don't use the Purdy frames though- they fall apart).

bang on opps, i always use a pole too, got a short and long purdy, i use a wooster frame (which tend to squeak after a while) but like the fact it screws in (i hate the push in ones) and i use pro dooz sleeves. Microfibre sleeves splatter less but i find them a real pain to clean.

:) wasn't really recommending the op covers his glasses in barrier cream, just struck me odd covering yourself in vaseline when barrier cream is made for the job (although i guess they both contain petroleum jelly), like i said in the first post a visor would certainly cover the face and offer good protection to glasses. Trouble is with any eye protection is as they splatter you see less and less and when wearing a dust mask as well they steam up.

I recently purchased a few of the Wooster frames, they haven't started to squeak yet but I had heard elsewhere that they do in time.

I haven't had a chance to try their sleeves yet but IMO their mini roller range of sleeves is far superior to any other that I have come across thus far.

Bar one occasion I have only used barrier cream when working with motor oil. TBH I keep my hands clean and if I get OB on them I use painters wipes. I guess that as a smoker I just don't want crap, even protective crap on my fingers. Make the ciggies taste icky....

If you are getting spatter then your paint is too thick and you'll get a load of roller stipple.

Thin your paint, use a roller and a short or medium sleeve, use a pole and go at a steady pace. Roll out any tram lines etc and you'll get a perfect job every time.

I often don't even put a sheet down I'm that confident it won't drip or spatter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back