SPEED!

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay ive got a 4 bed house that's been completely re-plastered and I'm behind schedule so looking for tips for the decorating phase.

I've got new pre-primed skirtings going on throughout, old door frames with many layers of old gloss, a bunch of radiators and acres of fresh plaster.

I'm opting to make everything white to save time cutting in (magnolia takes me forever). ALL tips, types of paint, brands, equipment and pitfalls would help me no end

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Haha not so helpful. Hurry is that I've got two houses undergoing full renovations I need completed and on the market ASAP.

any actual advice?

Sponsored Links
get a pro in lol they will do it fast if not your better to take your time because if u mess it up it can put buyers off

also use
19large.jpg
http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/leylandtrade_productdetails.asp?prodid=19

its called cover mat and you will be able to get away with two full coats for a finish, just dont count on washing it,

As mentioned above, don't rush it too much as it may end up a complete mess.

Not sure what emulsion you intend to use, but don't forget you will probably need to thin down the first coat of emulsion on new plaster, unless you want it to peel off.

Thanks for the tips. To clarify I won't actually rush the job just lookin for tips for how the pros do it efficiently! How would you all go about the old glossed frames and architraves?

a way to save time on wood work dont use oil based undercoat use water based undercoat\primer it goes on twice as quick and its dry in 15min ready for glossing.

a way to save time on wood work dont use oil based undercoat use water based undercoat\primer it goes on twice as quick and its dry in 15min ready for glossing.

Although I do use WB primer/UC it doesn't really save time, it just reduces waiting times.

Airless sprayer for the emulsion

Conversely I would have said airless for the woodwork (assuming no carpets etc, prior to doing the emulsion- meaning less masking needed).

I guess you could just spray WB eggshell over everything, eliminating the need for timely masking.

Have three trays and rollers.

Keep them all in rubble sacks sealed after each use.

Have one for watered down white for the fresh plaster.

One for full white for ceilings

One for magnolia.

That way they are ready to go when you need them and no need to clean after each coat. Bin them after.

Bth magnolia is pretty easy to cut in as it doesn't show to bad.

Also get a cutting in brush, they are brill...! Much easier to get a straight line.

You should beable to do a room of this type in a day 1/2.

Okay I've bought 80 litres of leylabd contract Matt and a guy from a proper paint shop said it was formulated to go straight on fresh plaster without the new for a most coat, is this bull?

(Ended up buying from trade point, cheapest I found)

I've also got a Wooster adjustable roller frame and some 18" rollers :) As for te timer I'm going to clean all frames down with soapy water with a scourer, and just go nuts with primer and then satin or eggshell.

Starts tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Okay I've bought 80 litres of leylabd contract Matt and a guy from a proper paint shop said it was formulated to go straight on fresh plaster without the new for a most coat, is this bull?

(Ended up buying from trade point, cheapest I found)

I've also got a Wooster adjustable roller frame and some 18" rollers :) As for te timer I'm going to clean all frames down with soapy water with a scourer, and just go nuts with primer and then satin or eggshell.

Starts tomorrow, fingers crossed!

The advice was bad, see http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/datasheets/LEYLANDCONTRACTMatt_DS.pdf

Even the tin says that you need to thin it on new plaster.

BTW those kinds of emulsion are a mare to keep clean. If you touch the walls with dirty/dusty hands you will need to touch up the paint.

Thanks for the link. I assumed it was probably crap advice and was going to check the tub before I started, now I know! Totally agree with Matt being a nightmare but unfortunate I've got to stick to a budget on this one... Would have chosen silk otherwise

Thanks for the link. I assumed it was probably crap advice and was going to check the tub before I started, now I know! Totally agree with Matt being a nightmare but unfortunate I've got to stick to a budget on this one... Would have chosen silk otherwise

The problem isn't that the paint is matt per se. It has a lower latex content which makes it impossible to keep clean, ie it is worse than standard matt. It does however cover new plaster with fewer coats than the regular more matt.

I used to use it ceilings and one day used it over red WB eggshelled walls as a base coat to obliterate the dark red. When i applied the new WB eggshell it crazed. From that point on I decided to stick with the regular matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back