speedbird 002

E

EddieM

Just been looking at some of the old footage, for this veritable leviatan of aviation history. I think I may be right in saying that our very own empip may have well contributed to this effort. If so, my hat goes off to you, what a beauty.

Accountants, dip your head in shame.

Sponsored Links
EddieM";p="1282331 said:
Just been looking at some of the old footage, for this veritable leviatan
quote] Levitation :?: It was half french ...concordE Tho` I heard rumours @ the time that there was 2 sonic bangs ......The second one when the French Letter fell off ...so it landed as concord :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Nah ! This is ConcordE

Final build - of any full aircraft at Bristol - This one G-BOAF en-route home as static display during Nov. 2003. Not a bad looker for her age...

Things were known about debris from damaged running gear - 20 odd years before the catastrophe.
Independent 29 July 2000

-p-

Used to work near Heathrow. Could never hear any normal jets take off, but the morning daily flight to New York (7:00am or 8:00 am?) jesus the whole building shook ! 4 RR Olympus engines on full song.

Britain (and the frogs) triumphed with the concorde where the russians and yanks failed. Worth every penny imo and a crying shame that they are now gathering dust around the world. :cry:

Would've been profitable had Boeing not used all their influence to ban them from some airports etc etc

Used to work near Heathrow. Could never hear any normal jets take off, but the morning daily flight to New York (7:00am or 8:00 am?) jesus the whole building shook ! 4 RR Olympus engines on full song.
Pure jets, with afterburners, will always be louder than ducted fan jet engines.

Loudest sound I've ever heard is a harrier jump jet taking off. Actually extremely painful on the ears.

Clever how airflow into and around engines is managed when in supersonic cruise...
http://www.concordesst.com/powerplant.html

-p-

All clever stuff, esp when taking into consideration the lack of computational modelling power way back then. If a new one is ever built, it'll probably technically way superior, but look like a pig!

Designed by computer built by robot, styled by accountants!

I've flown on concorde several times and was lucky enough to spend 30 minutes or so on the flight deck (a friend was flying co-pilot).

It was a wonderful piece of engineering though not for the claustrophobic ... It's hard to describe how small the cabin actually was in comparison to the mainstream wide-bodied aircraft and the flight deck was REALLY cramped ... Not a big deal for a few hours though ;)

I'm not sure if supersonic travel will ever gain favour again due to environmental and financial considerations ... The strategy nowadays is larger, cleaner and cheaper and it would cost squillions to develop a cost effective supersonic airliner which is quiet and clean enough to fly to the major Worldwide destinations.

I reckon the next big development in this area will be the high altitude space type projects but it depends if they can make it safe enough :LOL:

MW

Sponsored Links
Back