Speedfit > ball o fix leak - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Connnected my cold supply with speedfit to metal ball o fix/flexi to tap. After 2 months of use last night it burst off, the tube stiffener was left in the ball o fix. I cut the pipe squarely and used speedfit pipe and stiffeners. Anyone any ideas why this has happened, - could I have over tightened the ball o fix.

Would I be better replacing it with copper to the ball o fix?

Sponsored Links
I may be miles off here but the Speedfit pipe stiffeners are so long that they protrude out of the pipe too far to give a good fit into some fittings - rad valves being a case in particular. Maybe this is the case here?
Personally I use plastic pipe a lot - of various makes - but I use compression bends and tees etc.
The stainless stiffener in Hep20 products only protrutes a millimeter or so from the end of the pipe.....preferable, I think.
John :)

That could well be the case, the speedfit stiffener does protrude I would guess a good 3-4mm. My plumber friend did use copper on all my rad valves, then plastic from the elbow on. I think I might revert to copper ends for this to be safe!!! HEP2o is a better system I agree, but unfortunately my mate started using jg instead! Thanks for your advice.

I may be miles off here but the Speedfit pipe stiffeners are so long that they protrude out of the pipe too far to give a good fit into some fittings - rad valves being a case in particular. Maybe this is the case here?
Personally I use plastic pipe a lot - of various makes - but I use compression bends and tees etc.
The stainless stiffener in Hep20 products only protrutes a millimeter or so from the end of the pipe.....preferable, I think.
John :)
You`re not even 11/64" off M8 : I agree with you 99% . The 1% lampoons you for using plastic at all ;)

Sponsored Links
You can get Speedfit inserts that are designed for compression fittings - they have the top O-ring (the one that sits outside the pipe) and it's groove missing, making them shorter and therefore more suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back