speedfit end caps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
should speedfit endcaps be used under floor boards - i have just lifted some floorboards and found a radiator that was moved has been capped off with speedfit fitting. is there a shelf life?

Sponsored Links
Jury's still out on how long the O rings will last, I think.

Sponsored Links
according to WATER FITTINGS REGS 1999 that is a nono

as you should only use non demountable fittings (ie endfeed) in any area that is inaccessable or could be made inaccessable

endfeed are demountable with a blowtorch,

You better round off those stops PVM

with a blowtorch yes

not saying i agree with the regs but they state that compression and pushfit joints may come under due to external pressure (thermostatic movement etc) hence why they are recommended to be installed under floorboards.

Sorry Corgi, I'm just being a dick

Thanks for the info, V. useful in these litigious times.

according to WATER FITTINGS REGS 1999 that is a nono

But this is nearly 2005, are the regs/byelaws the same?

What about fittings other than end caps? Complete systems are being plumbed in pushfit and plastic now. In any case endfeed fitting joints fail if not done properly and the system cleaned and flushed.

I'm pretty sure the regulations are still the same, However they only apply to hot and cold water supply and not to space heating systems.

Well I've seen new-build houses which have plastic piping for hot and cold supplies, or does the regulation apply only to Speedfit? ie demountable without a tool. It doesn't seem rational to allow heating systems, but not water supplies as the pressures can still be similar except for the mains.

oilman said:
Well I've seen new-build houses which have plastic piping for hot and cold supplies, or does the regulation apply only to Speedfit? ie demountable without a tool. It doesn't seem rational to allow heating systems, but not water supplies as the pressures can still be similar except for the mains.
speed fit and similar (hep 2 o) can be used for heating and hot and cold water ,,,, weve done a pressure test on them and found that they break at about 45 bar lol not on the rubber but at the seams funny enuf,, just dont use them on gas!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back