Speedfit or compression end caps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which is best for capping off 15mm copper piping permanently which will be under floorboards.

Cheers

Edit: forgot to mention it will be for capping off both central heating pipes and cold/hot water pipes.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Compression stop ends for me, but I’d still wait a while before closing them in.
Speedfit are great and reliable- but I’ve known mice to make a meal of them.
John

Compression if I had to choose one, but a better job would be soldered. If you’re using on hot and cold then only use on on a pipe run no greater than twice the diameter, eg 15mm pipe, branch no longer than 30mm, otherwise it’s a legionella risk, and always best to remove the section.

Boards will probably be up for a couple of days after capping off so I can check on them.

Sponsored Links
Compression if I had to choose one, but a better job would be soldered. If you’re using on hot and cold then only use on on a pipe run no greater than twice the diameter, otherwise it’s a legionella risk, and always best to remove the section.
Basically the hot and cold pipes go to a bath which is being removed, and a shower put in it's place.
Pipes in the wall for the existing shower will also need to be altered, so fittings needed in there as well.

Not sure I understand what you mean about 'only use on on a pipe run no greater than twice the diameter'.
The copper pipe is 15mm, so are you saying the pipe should be no more than 30mm long?

The copper pipe is 15mm, so are you saying the pipe should be no more than 30mm long?
Yes, if capping off permanently on hot and cold pipes, if only temporary during refurb then it’s fine.

Yes, if capping off permanently on hot and cold pipes, if only temporary during refurb then it’s fine.
That's going to be fun tracing it back - a few more boards to come up methinks!
Maybe use speedfit whilst removing the bath and then compression for permanent capping/fittings?

depending on how old your house is the hot pipe to the bath might be 3/4 copper and not 22mm

Reactions: CBW
Definitely 15mm to the bath (the bit that I can see at the moment) as the house was re-plumbed about 15 years ago.

Thanks for the advice CBW, Burnerman, gas112

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CBW
Whilst I'm a fan of pushfit I'd probably go for a compression fitting in this instance. However, despite this I would remind myself that a pushfit end cap in a non-easily-accessible location is arguably no different than any other pushfit fitting in a similar place out of sight and whilst flexible plastic plumbing helps reduce the number of fittings needed it doesn't necessarily eliminate them. In short: I don't think there's a wrong answer here.

Cut the pipe as short as you can and solder a cap on.
Better if you remove the pipe altogether at the branch if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back