Speedfit vs hep2o etc. Your views please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am about to connect the CH and water from my existing house to my extension (2 rads upstairs, 1 down, plus a shower,basin,toilet), and am considering non-copper connections and pipes.

Based on experience, can anyone recommend one brand over another? I have personally been recommended hep2o, but wanted to get a more balanced viewpoint.

Happy to produce a sketch plan if anyone would find this helpful!

Stevel

Sponsored Links
I've used Hepworth's Hep2o, seemed fine, although it's only been installed a couple of years so no word on longevity as yet. Have used for both CH and hot/cold water.

I still prefer copper, but when you need to get pipework through stud walls without ripping out huge sections of plasterboard, well... y'know.

Sponsored Links
Hep2o - look at their test pressures for one thing, Speedfit say test pressure 10 bar (I think), Hepworth say to test Hep2o to 18 bar, to me this implies a stronger more reliable product. Also Speedfit can pull apart if there's a fitting near a hole and you've forgotten to tighten the locknut (this will still hold a pressure test, it only becomes a problem if the pipes are moved about and the fitting pulled against the hole, when it will blow off).

If I was to use plastic, which I don't any more (copper everywhere now) I have in the past with my last company, I'd use Hep2o over Speedfit every time.

It's all carp. Do it properly in copper. If you really must use plastic use Buteline (get the kit) or Yorkshire Tectite Classic fittings with Qualpex pipe.

Hep2O have had major problems in the past. I've seen the pipe fracture and the grab rings disintegrate. No proper quality control.

I don't think its carp at all.

I would use plastic over copper every time for a number of reasons:

1. No hot work required, so it does not matter if there is still some moisture in the line.
2. Reduced number of fittings as the pipe bends.
3. Pipe does not "clang" as it doesn't expand as much.
4. Heat loss through plastic is much less than copper.
5. The installation of a fitting does not contaminate the pipe (ie flux/solder on copper)
6. Its cheaper!

My reason for preference of hep2o over speedfit is the design, the hepworth design is a lot more simple than the speedfit and I think that is one of the reasons why JG changed to a removable cap design - to make it demountable.

Looking at pushfit plumbing, almost every manufacturer on the continent uses the hepworth style of fitting, very few use the compressed collet like the speedfit.

Just my 2p worth.

CE

It's all carp. Do it properly in copper. If you really must use plastic use Buteline (get the kit) or Yorkshire Tectite Classic fittings with Qualpex pipe.

Hep2O have had major problems in the past. I've seen the pipe fracture and the grab rings disintegrate. No proper quality control.

A friend of mine did have a split Hepworth barrier pipe in his rented house. it was part of the CH system, but the pump was fitted backward and as a result, water temperature far exceeded that which the pipe is designed for.

Hep appear to be winning the People's Vote! Any recommendations for sales outlets, online or otherwise?

I'm not trade (clearly!)

Stephen

ive seen bad things from hep ie fittings failing when on test at 10 bar like they say! not on my public liability thank you very much! copper all the way or at least use compression fittings! anything goes under the deck! :LOL:

In the commercial construction industry we are using more and more of these products. Mapress carbon steel and Mapress copper for LTHW, Mapress copper or (Mepla or Mapress Stainless steel for NHS) for Domestic water, they are all a pressed jointing system using a tool which takes around 3 seconds a joint so saving a lot on labour and hot works permit etc. If you read the literature you will see the lifetime is impressive. I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer but around a year and a half ago I re plumbed my heating system in mapress copper and some compression to boiler and rads and have not had to top up my combie since. Well impressed. Just wondering if any domestic installers have looked at these alternative products.

http://www.geberit.co.uk/geberit/in...Supply_Systems_2009_without_prices_lowRes.pdf

I am also from the commercial world, and we are using more and more Mapress crimped system. It is a good system and we have not yet had a problem on it.
We did 125 2 bed flats a few years ago in Speedfit, but i would go for Hep over Speedfit, but always prefer copper, soldered or crimped:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back