Spent ALL day balancing radiators...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent literally all day balancing radiators in my old solid brick house. I think I have just about got it sorted now.

We have 21 radiators on two levels. The average temperature seems to be 50 degrees centigrade with the boiler on max with max input temp of 65 degrees.

Does this seem a little low? We have a nearly new A rated external worcester bosh oil combi boiler.

Should I be expecting higher temperatures from it? Do you think they it may be because the pipework has no insulation?

I've been in this house three years now and have spent days and days messing with the heating. Really keen to have a warm winter for once.

Any experienced feedback? Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Normally combi boilers will be more than adequate for central heating as they require a high output to supply instant hot water. However you have 21 rads, which suggests a large house, so the combi may not be supplying enough heat to the rads.

Use Whole House Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler you should have for central heating. Then use Stelrad Elite Catalogue to estimate the output of all your rads. You should use the page headed 40 Δt.

Post your findings as well as the model no and output of your boiler.

Sponsored Links
Hmm boiler seems to be ok. It's a 4 bed detached house... 20 x 10 meters with this boiler.
Is that the footprint? If so, it's a very large house!

What size boiler did the calculator give and what about the total radiator output.

TBH with that size house & that number of rads i'm guessing you have 2 or more bathrooms & if that's the case i wouldn't have dreamed of fitting a combi in the first place

It is quite big.
Nice location :LOL:

From that website boiler should be spot on. Managed to get average radiator to 54 degrees using an infra red thermometer at the top middle of each radiator.
If the boiler and rads are correctly sized, you should be getting 60C at the rads with a flow temp of 70C.

What is the flow temperature of your boiler?

Thanks. :)

I'm averaging 55 degrees at the top middle part of the rad so I suppose thats ok. I'm not sure of the temp from the boiler. I'll need to get in the roof to check it but I expect its about 70 degrees. :)

The problem is that your boiler is correctly sized, but the house is not getting warm enough. This can only mean that your rads are not large enough.

That's why I suggested you checked their outputs using the link I gave. If you don't have 30kW of rads, correctly allocated to the rooms, the house will never get up to temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back