spiders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is it about them?

I hate it when people say... oh tof... they wont hurt you...

and..
they are more scared of you than you are of them!!!

I dont think so!!

why... are so many people terrified of spiders, does anyone know?

its such a common phobia... but why???

Sponsored Links
its bo bo's for me...

moz.. you not been watching relocation relocation?? or is that not the one you were on about on other post?

nigh night.

SPIDER..... WHERE :?:

I'm petrified of them...not sure why. Because they LOOK scary to me and they can run fast.

you know if millipedes were bigger....they would probably have the same effect. Maybe it's the eight legs....and i swear they can sense fear also...because they'll run/jump right at me .....if i stay still long enough.... :eek: :eek: :cry: :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
I think its because they're small and run very quick and if they crawl on you, you cant see where they're going,imagine them getting in your hair,uurrgghh !!! Well thats why i'm scared of them anyway :( I read somewhere that on average a human swallows about 3 spiders in their lifetime when they're asleep :eek:

mandiehun said:
I think its because they're small and run very quick and if they crawl on you, you cant see where they're going,imagine them getting in your hair,uurrgghh !!! Well thats why i'm scared of them anyway :( I read somewhere that on average a human swallows about 3 spiders in their lifetime when they're asleep :eek:

the swallowing spiders bit...saw it on the net...weird stuff...that was well...weird :LOL:

toffee said:
what is it about them?

I hate it when people say... oh tof... they wont hurt you...
Some will, but we don't get them in this country

and..
they are more scared of you than you are of them!!!
They probably are.

why... are so many people terrified of spiders, does anyone know?

its such a common phobia... but why???
Absolutely no idea.

You're right that so many people are, but I can't explain it - makes absolutely no sense to me.

There's the alien life-form theory....

BAS--there aren't spiders there? where is this again? (let me get a pen)
if you don't have spiders.....what do you have? let me rephrase that.....

what would you consider was the scariest bug there where you are?--I know I'm askin for it....oops....did it again :oops: :LOL:

mlb3c said:
BAS--there aren't spiders there? where is this again? (let me get a pen)
We get spiders - I was answering toffee's point about people saying "they won't hurt you" - we have no dangerous spiders in this country.

what would you consider was the scariest bug there where you are?--I know I'm askin for it....oops....did it again :oops: :LOL:
Dunno - it's all very subjective - we are fortunate here in that we have no dangerous bugs, insects, arachnids, snakes, mammals (apart from a few wild boar) etc., so nothing of which to be rationally scared.

ohh...I misunderstood then. but referring to toffee's post, i don't think she was talking about "rational" fear.....I for one take the fifth on that.

cows aren't considered dangerous either....but if you happen to be in the field with the bull and he's having a bad day...well....when I'm runnin for the fence...I'll be thinkin about rational fear. ;)

funny story on spider

i know my m8 who is a big lad and isnt really scared of much EXCEPT SPIDERS :LOL:

i have them in my house so many varieties

mostly H K hunter killers hehe big n hairy about a 50 pence piece size

anyhoo

i was waiting on him calling so we could go to the gym

saw this spider and thought ah go on then he will see the funny side :eek:

so i wait till i hear him open the door and i put this thing in my mouth ( not sqeamish ) and pretend to be asleep

he comes in and starts the shaking me wake up u wake up

where upon i open my gob and said spider runs out hehe man he was like a little girl runing into the kitchen yelling n all

took a huge huff and didnt go to the gym :oops:

we are ok now and he laffs about it but i wish i had a video of it :LOL:

slogger, 50p size? Nothing mate. I have seen some spiders in this house, but the other week, i got the shock of my life.

I was sat on the desk chair at my bed doing the invoices for work (yes, i took my work home), and i thought i saw something move out of the corner of my eye, on the floor.

I look, nothing. So i carry on.

About 3-4 mins later, the other side of me, i see it moving this time! a bloody big hairy spider, and i aint joking when i say we couldn't even fit a pint glass over it!!!!!! Jesus, i was scared! :oops: it was a bloody fast mover too!

I think my mum ended up covering it with a bowl and catching it that way. Now i think back, i should have kept it and taken it to an expert or something, it looked like it had come from the rainforest or out of a case of bananas! :eek:

You'd think i should be used to spiders, having lived in this infested house for 18 years, and I will catch them if i can fit a glass over them, but this one! i think it moved faster than i could! :eek: :eek:

We had one in our house once that was so big you could hear it scuttle across the wall - yes, really....

there must be a reason why so many people are terrified of them.
I am not scared of worms or snakes or mice or rats that are other common phobias.

I cant remember anything specific happening to scare me of them and my mother isnt really scared of them so it wasnt a learned behaviour there.

I feel very silly and embarrassed about this phobia even though it is common.

I totally go to pieces, panic attack etc if I in the position where one is on me or it is likely that it will come on me.

I have so far managed to hide this fear from the kids but only one of them will catch spiders in the bath for me.
Yet they all play with woodlice and lady birds and worms.

I find house spiders more scary than such as tarantulas, not that Id touch any.
I think its because I have never seen a taratula running.

I wish I could have Paul McKenna for a day and see if he could get rid of my fear.

If I was offered 5 million pounds to sit in a bath of them I wouldnt do it!

(my hubby says he'd gag me, dope me and throw me in for 5 million the s o d!!!!)

Sponsored Links
Back