Spidery original sash windows, will renovating help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I previously had quite a long thread about the pros and cons of retaining my period (Victorian) sash windows rather than having them replaced with something modern. I'm leaning towards keeping those which are in good enough condition not to require significant restoration.

One thing we notice is that ALL our sash windows are swarming with spiders. Presumably because the shape of them provides lots of nice nooks and crannies. The windows that are not painted shut are a nightmare to actually open because there are always several spiders inside when you open them, which immediate run into the room or drop on you. And even those that are painted shut, the keep coming through the pulley holes, etc.

As well as being messy, we're both not keen on spiders. I'm wondering if renovating the windows would help with this since draught-proofing would seal up all the little gaps they are crawling through? It might seem a silly concern but even our cleaner, who is not arachnophobic, is pretty grossed out by the job of keeping them clean!

Sponsored Links
yeah would probably help and I don't know where you live but keeping wooden sashes around here adds to the value of the property, providing they are in decent nick.
Its that time of year I'm afraid they are all looking for somewhere to hide up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back