spindle spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help this thick person with a formula for fitting spindles. I have a space of 910mm and eight (32mm) spindles on 45 degree stairs and spaced them at 113mm, but the distance from the inside of the newel post to the first post is greater than the spaces between rest of spindles. I place the spindles across the 113 lines.

Thanks
Tony :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
if you have a gap, space, whatever and you wish to divide it into set increments then think of the amount of spaces between spindles and not the amount of spindles themselves.

if you have 8 spindles then you are creating 9 gaps.

whatever the overall gap divide by 9 and this will give your spindle centre mark. i.e 910 divided by 9.

If you have a total space of 910mm,

then 8 spindles x 32mm = 256mm

910mm - 256mm = 654 space left

Therefore 654mm divided by 9 = 72.6mm space between each 32mm splindle

yep masona is spot on except [not being pedantic :D ;) ]you need to cut your spindle at the correct angle [42% for example] that will increase the coverage by around approximatly 25 percent so 38 will =around 47

now it may not seem a lot but 9x 8 is 71mm aproching 3"

this of course assumes your measuring under the handrail or on top off the string :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just finished converting my stairs from ranch style to turned posts and spindles.

1.Use the formula to work out minimum number of spindles required. Cut them and put them all in at the bottom of the run tight up against the post and each other.
2. Measure the remaining space horizontally, clamp spirit level to the post if that helps.
3. Divide by number of spaces.
4. Remove a spindle, glue and pin at the top, correct distance horizontal from post.
5. Cut angle on infill, mark and make repeat cuts (shows how to easily do all this at website)
6. Fill up about halfway then redo process to check its going ok, adjust spacer size if needed.

can i just suggest,iirc the spacings for spindles can not be more the 95 mm apart on the horizontal.

can i just suggest,iirc the spacings for spindles can not be more the 95 mm apart on the horizontal.

I think the reg is 100mm but i stand to be corrected.

yes pedanticly "less than 100" so a 100mm sphere cant pas through so 95 allows for bumps twists and moldings on the spindles and for you to stretch a couple off mm to fill the space ;)

I think the reg is 100mm but i stand to be corrected.

yes pedanticly "less than 100" so a 100mm sphere cant pas through so 95 allows for bumps twists and moldings on the spindles and for you to stretch a couple off mm to fill the space ;)

Top man i didnt know that tbh.. It all makes sense. Gotta love the buildong game. Been to some jobs where they have been around 120 also tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back