Spinning tap head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have beautiful Pegler Biarritz crosstop taps but one tap has started to spin and not turn on/off the water. I can pull the tap head off and can see that it is attached to a plastic corrugated spindle. Inside the tap head the plastic corrugated sheath that attaches to the spindle is no longer firmly attached to the body of the tap head, it spins round freely.
As these taps are no longer made and despite searching for months I cannot find a spare tap head, my question is, is there any way to secure the inner white corrugated sheath to prevent it from spinning, or can I renew it with a spare part (don't know what it is called)?
I love my taps and would really appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
1. A photograph would be really useful.
2. The white corrugated bit is usually a splined (the corrugations) adapter which goes between another set of male splines on the (usually brass) spindle of the tap and the female splined interior of the actual handle.
3. The reason for having an adaptor is usually to allow the tap handle to be positioned in a particular orientation. The adaptor has more spines on the outside than the inside, so by removing it and rotating it, the tap handle can be made to sit in a particular position when the tap is closed.
4. Assuming you white plastic bit is an adaptor, you could:
4a. Remove the adaptor from the actual (brass?) tap spindle. Normally just pull off.
4b. Measure the diameter of the spindle and count the number of splines on it.
4c. Measure inside the tap handle (with the adaptor removed) for diameter and number of splines.
4d. The outside diameter at 4b. and the inside diameter at 4c. need to be accurate. A vernier caliper is ideal but the outside diameter can be measured by measuring the circumference and diving by "Pi". Multiply by 7 and divide by 22 is close enough. The inside diameter is more difficult. Normally I'd suggest measuring the outside diameter of the adaptor, but understand this is worn. You would probably get away with measuring the outside diameter of the adaptor, then rounding up to the nearest whole number of millimetres.
5. Have a look at the "Tap Magician" web site - Spare Parts - Spline adaptors. You may find something there which will suit.

upload_2022-3-17_15-21-29.jpeg upload_2022-3-17_15-22-27.jpeg upload_2022-3-17_15-22-28.jpeg upload_2022-3-17_15-22-28.jpeg upload_2022-3-17_15-22-28.jpeg

Hope you can see the images.
When I unscrewed the inner corrugated sheath (adaptor?) from the tap head I could see that it was split so this is definitely the part that I need to order. It has 16 teeth inside and is threaded on the outside. I would really appreciate any help with nomenclature or repair options (can't imagine I could glue it effectively). If I knew what it was called I could try to source one online but I'm struggling as everything seems discontinued.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
I contacted Plumbers Mate yesterday but still waiting for a reply. The item that you highlighted has 20 teeth and seems a bit smaller across the threads. I suppose the important bit is to get the correct size threads to tighten back into my tap handle, I could then replace the spline on the tap unit to match the number of teeth?
So am I seeking a 'screw-in carrier adaptor'? It would help to get the name right when I search.

Thanks for that.
I contacted Plumbers Mate yesterday but still waiting for a reply. The item that you highlighted has 20 teeth and seems a bit smaller across the threads. I suppose the important bit is to get the correct size threads to tighten back into my tap handle, I could then replace the spline on the tap unit to match the number of teeth?
So am I seeking a 'screw-in carrier adaptor'? It would help to get the name right when I search.
Failing that if you don’t want to replace the tap, get new inserts with 20 teeth and use the adapters?

If I replace the broken internal female adapter within the tap head (photo 5) with a 20 teeth one, can I simply replace the male adapter on the tap unit (photo 1) for another 20 teeth one? Presumably the adapter on the tap unit (photo 1) sits on the splines of the ceramic cartridge so does this adaptor also need to have the correct number of internal teeth. If so, does this mean I will have to change the ceramic cartridge as well to accommodate 20 teeth spline adapters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back