Splice connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use a splice connector on 240v lighting supply?

I want to take a feed from a 240v power supply to a light. The cable to the existing light does not have any slack so it would be quite tricky to cut it and use a terminal block, also there's not much space available for the connection.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you mean Crimps but these are not really meant for solid wires - just stranded. Also can be difficult if space is tight.

I would recommend soldering - make a small U on the end of each wire to be connected, hook them together and squash tight. This will hold them together while you solder the joint.

Ideally cover each wire, except the earth, with heat-shrink tubing (don't forget to put it on first) then cover all three. If you have room stagger the joints.

If you don't have any heat-shrink use self-amalgamating tape, - not ordinary insulating tape. Wrap each wire, except the earth and then all the wires from sheath to sheath.

This is an acceptable method for hidden joints.

Not sure if you mean Crimps but these are not really meant for solid wires - just stranded.
That's what I've always been told and taught, but there is clearly a lot of debate about this, and many of the people here are happy to recommend the crimping of solid conductors. Personally, I would never trust it, and certainly don't really understand why crimped connections (so easy to do badly, whatver the nature of the cable) are allowed to be non-accessible - but it seems that I may be in minority in that personal view.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what sort of wiring you are breaking into.

If this is regular twin and earth cable in an accessible place you would be best using two junction boxes with a short link between.

If you are really good you may be able to use one junction box, by stripping the cable without cutting it, so the existing cable remains continious. Remove the junction box screws, drop the continious cables into the terminals. Replace the screws without tightening them. Wire in the new cable. Tighten screws.

If the joint is unaccessible, the best way is to cut the cable, and then use crimps and heatshrink. Join an old cable with a new cable to the new light. Join remaining old cable with another new cable also to the new light.

However you do it, make sure the power is OFF>

Don't forget to take into account creep, mechanical stress, and temperature rise under fault conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back