Spliced Lighting Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve had some work completed by a builder recently including moving a light switch. The wiring has been spliced and then covered with electrical tape, to then be plastered over.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Does the wiring look ok?
2. How should the wiring be plastered over?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
No it doesn't look okay, not even sure it's completely in safe zones given it doglegs. Could well be electrically sound but it's a bodge.

Hi,

I’ve had some work completed by a builder recently including moving a light switch. The wiring has been spliced and then covered with electrical tape, to then be plastered over.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Does the wiring look ok?
2. How should the wiring be plastered over?

Thanks
No that is very wrong.
Wrong method
Wrong place

Sponsored Links
Your builder and others like him (yes kitchen fitters I'm looking at you) are why Part P was invented.
Joint wrong
Joint method wrong.
Cable not in protected zones.
Epic fail
Has he done any other electrical work?- if yes it all needs inspecting by a competent person (IE not your builder).

EDIT You'll also need RCD protection on that lighting circuit now that cable has been moved. But before you worry about that the cable needs replacing (so there isn't a joint in it) and rerunning so it is in a safe zone.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the replies, this is really helpful!!

Before the building company carried out the work I asked them whether they were registered to carry out electrical work in which they said yes…… hence, me asking them to move the wiring since this seemed the easiest thing to do! They mainly do kitchens and bathrooms and have a lot of positive reviews and recommendations, madness!

I have an electrician who has done some work for me on other occasions who I can ask to rectify the work but just so I know that it’s right next time, should the joint be in a junction box and then the cables moved to safe zones with capping covering it before it is plastered over?

Thanks

Ideally it shouldn't have a join that isn't accessible, if it's inaccessible then it has to be with maintenance free connections. Capping only really protects the cable from a plasterers trowel so if it's chased in deep enough it's not required.

Before the building company carried out the work I asked them whether they were registered to carry out electrical work in which they said yes……
Seems you did everything correct. So did they provide you with a compliance certificate?

In the main Part P came in because kitchen fitters were making a real mess of things. In came in around 2004 and it was not really a success, and in England it has been watered down some what, Wales still has the originally as by time England found the mistake we had devolution so it was not auto removed again.

So there are two methods in Wales, using a scheme provider, or direct to LABC, in England also third party inspectors can be used.

In Wales any work in a special location needs notifying, that includes bathrooms and kitchens, and outside. I think England is just bathroom, and also in England covers new circuits, consumer units in Wales just one or two things not covered.

However it is against the law to say your a scheme member if your not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back