split cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife's just looked into our airing cupboard and found water pouring through the ceiling. Thankfully most of the water seems to have been soaked up by the various towels & blankets we keep in there.

Got a plumber in to take a look & it seems the cold water tank has split. Can anyone give me an idea of how much a new 2ftx2ftx2ft water tank should cost (he's charging £130 for labour).

On a side note is there anything I should be worried about concerning any water damage that might not be visible. From what my wife tells me is doesn't look like its got to the ground floor??

Anyways, I think I'll inform my insurance company even if I don't claim, just so its recorded (incase of any future problems)

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Cold water tanks/cisterns are quite easy to change as long at you don't alter the capacity (bigger or smaller). If all your mains cold water feed is knocked off and no fuses have popped you are ok now I would say. Check out this link to our old mates screwfix who do a range of plastic, which is now common place for tanks.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101561&ts=23127&id=10500
By the way your quote could be reasonable but I would not let it get higher, but quotes etc don't seem to allowed on this website!
PS. It was metal tank wasn't it?

Link showed a 25gall....you need a 50 gall@£64.99...if it feeds cold to bathroom....Is the Quote incl. vat?...bet you`re not in London :)

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Link showed a 25gall....you need a 50 gall@£64.99...if it feeds cold to bathroom....Is the Quote incl. vat?...bet you`re not in London :)

The 2'x2'x2' tank he has been quoted though is only going to be about 25 gallon. Old tank isn't asbestos is it..then that would be a good price.

You`re dead right M8 :oops: Me eyes darted straight to the ££££and missed the technical bit...D`oh.

Thanks for all the advise.

Looked at the 'damage' last nite .. luckily it seems to be confined to water dripping through the ceiling in the airing cupboard, a slightly unpleasant damp smell (like you get when stripping wallpaper!) and load of wet towels. Thankfully the bedrooms either side look fine.

Your right.. I'm not in London but the south east.

60 quid labour would more than cover that job up here. If plumbing costs that much in South East you'd do well to develop some skills.

Buy two pipe slices 15mm and 22mm two pairs of water pump pliers (grips) and a wide jawed adjustable shifter and you can do the whole job yourself. Cost of tools Grips from Boys £6 each, adjustable spanner £5 (est.) Pipe slices Rottenberger £12 each, so £41 worth of tools about £10 worth of fittings and pipe. Two hours of your time, since you've never done one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back