split con cable - pros and cons??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been seeing this cable recommended and having never used it, wondered in what scenarios you would?

Can anyone provide a quick list, plus pro's/cons?

Thanks

SB (still learning!)

Sponsored Links
It is basically a replacement for T+E in our eyes - It doesn't have additional mechanical protection. It is designed to leave the neutral/earth connected when the live is severed, and operate protective devices through penetration, but this is not really why we use it.

It is easier to install than T+E as it is round.

You cannot use it without an RCD when burried.

http://www.askthetrades.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1096466372#7

Its quite a common cable for street lighting supplies where the lamp column is serviced by the DNO.
Also used on some private underground cable networks but SWA is more likely to be specified by the client.

Sadly it isn't in BS7671 anymore for use unprotected underground.

Sponsored Links
It is ideal for submains, as it can be run externally, and normally requires no additional mechanical protection. (Subject to environmental conditions, such as risk of impact etc)

It is thinner than SWA, and does not require special glands to terminate it.

It does not offer as much protection against mechanical damage as SWA does, and it is not exempt from requiring RCD protection (etc) if it is buried <50mm in a wall or partition

Thanks for replies and that really useful link. I guess it might be used for longish supply tails then? But if concealed then better to use SWA as don't need RCD protection. Or say use 10mm for shower?? Does it come in smaller sizes? Would you ever use it in place of 2.5 t and e?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious!

SB

RF you got in there before me!

Thats it.

I have used it for a shower a few times, but have always used T+E as the final drop for pull cord to shower. It is ideal for threading through joists compared to T+E.

It takes a little practice to terminate, but it is really not that difficult.

If using it 'as tails' you need to provide a switch fuse. The KMF (mem) with a shroud is a nice cheap way of doing it.

AFAIK, the smallest it is manufactured in is 4.0mm²

There is nothing to stop you using it to supply a shower, but showers tend to have clamps designed for flat T&E, plus split con would be special order, and T&E is available off the shelf.

The only time I personally tend to use it is for domestic submains.

<edit> too slow!

It's not special order in our area. All the wholesalers keep 4, 10, and 16 on the shelf. The other sizes would be to order. It is used regularly in our neck of the woods. Mainly for domestic submains as you say.

I heart this forum! Thanks again for replies, I love learning about new (to me) stuff. I only really do domestic work, so can't see me using it much, but worth knowing about....

Presumably it's Table 4D2A (multicore non armoured) for current carrying capacity?

I have never come across manufacturers data for split con (probably as I have never used it :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back