Correct use of Split Con?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TTINTAKEI.jpg

A colleague has brought this to my attention following yet another discussion about the use of split con cable by anyone other than the DNO.
The assumption is (or has been so far) that the outgoing cable is the customers property (although we don't know if that's correct).
For the purpose of our discussion we have assumed these are both split con and not straightforward SWA.

Sponsored Links
That appears to be straight con which is not permitted for use in any situation by BS7671

Sponsored Links
Apologies, that it what I meant. .... Ah but is it actually forbidden by regs or simply not listed as suitable?
Straight con surely implies that the 'outer conductor' is a PEN, which is specifically forbidden within installations by 543.4.1 of BS7671 (with the very rare exceptions mentioned in 543.4.1) - and, in addition to that prohibition in BS7671, the Note to 543.4.1 points out that..
Regulation 8(4) of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations (ESQCR) prohibits the use of PEN conductors in consumers’ installations.

On the other hand, split con (which has separate neutral and 'protective earth' conductors in the outer layer, hence no PEN) is not prohibited in consumer's installations.

Kind Regards, John

Straight con surely implies that the 'outer conductor' is a PEN, which is specifically forbidden within installations by 543.4.1 of BS7671 ...
Doesn't need to be a PEN if you run a separate CPC. But if you are going to do that, why use straight con ...
CBA to go and get the book, but would it be OK if running a TT submain (and the cable is installed in such a manner as not to require earthed protection) ?

The assumption is (or has been so far) that the outgoing cable is the customers property (although we don't know if that's correct).
It is. Up to and including the service head (main fuse) belongs to the DNO. From there to the meter belongs to the meter operator (may be your supplier, or may be a separate company under contract). The outgoing tails from the meter and everything downstream belongs to the customer.

Doesn't need to be a PEN if you run a separate CPC. But if you are going to do that, why use straight con ...
For a start, as you say, what would be the point? However, talking of 'points', is it not more to the point that the neutral would then certainly not be 'insulated and sheathed' - some might call it 'single insulated', but it would probably be more accurately described as 'non-insulated but sheathed' - which surely would not be BS7671-compliant?
CBA to go and get the book, but would it be OK if running a TT submain (and the cable is installed in such a manner as not to require earthed protection) ?
Same point - the neutral would be protected by only one layer of insulating material (however you wish to describe that), hence presumably not compliant - any more than would be using a single-insulated single for the neutral.

Kind Regards, John

For a start, as you say, what would be the point?
Sometimes things are used because there's a load lying around for whatever reason. Apart from that, I can't see one.
is it not more to the point that the neutral would then certainly not be 'insulated and sheathed'
I believe you are correct. I see that split con has insulated neutrals, I hadn't looked it up to see that straight con has non-insulated neutrals. Not having had any reason to use it, never looked at it in detail before - learned something new today (y)

Sometimes things are used because there's a load lying around for whatever reason. Apart from that, I can't see one.
Agreed - but it's hard to see why anyone who did work within electrical installations (rather than a DNO worker) would have any reason to have any straight con 'lying around'. In any event, as I went on to say, I can't see that straight con would be compliant within an installation (i.e. per BS7671) for L+N (and even then one would need a separate CPC). I suppose a pair of straight con cables could be used (one for L, the other for N, each with the outer being a CPC) - but that would seemingly be plain silly!
I believe you are correct. I see that split con has insulated neutrals, I hadn't looked it up to see that straight con has non-insulated neutrals. Not having had any reason to use it, never looked at it in detail before - learned something new today (y)
Indeed. If I recall correctly (and if they're still there!), I think that this forum's wiki has some nice pics of both straight and split con.

Kind Regards, John

It is. Up to and including the service head (main fuse) belongs to the DNO. From there to the meter belongs to the meter operator (may be your supplier, or may be a separate company under contract). The outgoing tails from the meter and everything downstream belongs to the customer.
And yet there is a distinct symmetry in the installation which strongly suggests both the incoming and outgoing sides were installed by the same person, not a piecemeal process of a DNO installing a service head, a supplier installing a meter and a customer's electrician installing wiring on to the rest of their installation.

Out of interest what does the other end of the outgoing cable look like?

And yet there is a distinct symmetry in the installation which strongly suggests both the incoming and outgoing sides were installed by the same person, not a piecemeal process of a DNO installing a service head, a supplier installing a meter and a customer's electrician installing wiring on to the rest of their installation.
That had struck me as well - it's not the sort of thing you would expect to see if they weren't done by the same person (or at least, people trained to work in the same way).

But looking back at the original photo, there's something else ...
Anyone see any earth cable there ? So either it's a TT supply downstream, or it's still using a PEN. I wonder if there's more to this - what is the supply feeding ? Could it be something where the DNO is responsible for connecting a supply to something ? Or could it be something like street lighting which I suspect has different rules again ?
I have seen it between the service head and the meters
Is it me, or does it look like the neutral for one phase of the right hand head comes from the left hand service ? it looks a lot like 2off 3 phase supplies going off to 6off single phase meters. Also, there's only one earth which comes off the right hand head.
Perhaps it's 1off 3 phase supply split to 6off supply fuses - can't tell without seeing what's cut off below the photo.

Last edited:
But looking back at the original photo, there's something else ... Anyone see any earth cable there ? So either it's a TT supply downstream, or it's still using a PEN. I wonder if there's more to this - what is the supply feeding ? ...
I hadn't noticed that, either.

I wouldn't have thought that it would be permitted, even under 'DNO rules', for the earth fault path (i.e. a PEN) to go through a meter, would it?

Kind Regards, John

It might, with certain provisos. We do know that that type of meter just has a solid link between the neutral terminals and really only needs a neutral connection to provide it with a voltage reference. And do we know that it is in fact "the" earth fault path - in the case of street lighting for example, might the lighting column be it's own earth rod and there be no earth cables as we'd recognise them involved ?
I think the only thing we can be certain of is that it isn't a standard supply arrangement :rolleyes:

It might, with certain provisos. We do know that that type of meter just has a solid link between the neutral terminals and really only needs a neutral connection to provide it with a voltage reference.
All true, and I did think of that - but it still wouldn't surprise me if 'as a matter of principle', they (**) didn't want earth fault currents going through any part of the meter.
[** don't forget that the meter belongs to someone other than the DNO, and that that 'someone' might not want earth fault currents going through their meter]
And do we know that it is in fact "the" earth fault path ...
Only if, as you have postulated, a PEN is going through the meter. With the 'usual arrangement' the earth fault path bypasses the meter by virtue of the installation's earthing conductor being derived from the PEN upstream of the meter.
I think the only thing we can be certain of is that it isn't a standard supply arrangement :rolleyes:
That's certainly true in relation to my (albeit limited) experience of 'standard supply arrangements'.

What exactly is the context of this setup?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back