Split Inverter Air Conditioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a split A/C inverter system in my conservatory mainly for heating. These systems have the outdoor and indoor unit. There are quite a few easy-fit ones available only which I believe come pre-gassed. Does anyone know if this can be done as a DIY job? The main unit says fused 13A, can i spur this from a socket ring that runs on 32A MCB circuit breaker?

Sponsored Links
I have a delonghi split inverter self install downstairs and it works very well, cooling the whole of the ground floor if I leave the living room door open. Yes, they are pre-gassed with a special connector to hook up to the external unit. They generally only require power to the internal unit.

Note that they generally come with 5m of piping, permanently attached to the internal unit and pre-charged and can't be easily extended. If you more need than that, then you're going to need an air-con engineer, so you might as well have them do the full install anyway.

Most of these system are designed as a DIY install, so as Davlex suggests, check out the length of the supplied pipe, and then if there's too much, see what a local engineer would charge to redo the pipework. As the system is pre-gassed, they may not even need to come on site, but it's something you'll need to work out as you go along.

Check whether it comes with a plug, or requires a switched fused spur (which you'll need an electrician for) but the existing ring should be fine.

The gas is not explosive, toxic, or (these days, AFAIK) environmentally damaging, so I wonder why it's still a case of "pre-gassed can't fiddle with the pipes" or "need an air-con installer".

Sponsored Links
The gas is not explosive, toxic, or (these days, AFAIK) environmentally damaging, so I wonder why it's still a case of "pre-gassed can't fiddle with the pipes" or "need an air-con installer".
There are many types of refrigerants, some of which are flammable, some are toxic, and some do damage the environment (although to a lesser extent than the CFCs and similar used years ago).

In any case, recharging an AC system isn't a DIY task, as the average DIY person won't have any of the tools or equipment required, and buying such things will be far too expensive for a single use.

Most DIYers won't carry a vac pump, gauges and bottles of various gasses, brazing equipment etc! The DIY kits have the pipework and equipment evacuated and filled to the correct pressures and usually a pair of special plug in connectors and valves. You are stuck with set lengths of pipe though. I did briefly look at an all in one unit, but the thought of cutting 2 8" holes in the wall put me off, and the extra noise.

Ah beaten to it! A pro install by an air con company is likely to be better than any DIY kit.

Although the systems come pre charged with refrigerant, this is usually held in the condensing unit (the outside part of the system). There are usually some closed service valves fitted to the outdoor unit. The ports on these valves are usually designed so that, once the indoor unit and connecting pipework have been connected, gauges can be attached and the air can be evacuated from the indoor unit and connecting pipework. A deep vacuum has to be achieved before the valves can be opened to allow the refrigerant into the rest of the system. You may remember that certain DIY outlets used to sell so called DIY systems, but if I'm not mistaken, these have now been outlawed because the only way to expel the air in the pipework was to purge some refrigerant gas to atmosphere, which is of course illegal.
So, as above, because of the need for a vacuum pump and a suitable vac gauge, you would need to use the services of a professional a/c engineer.

Because although it is no longer ozone depleting, it is what is considered a "greenhouse gas" which allegedly contributes to global warming.
Therefore deliberate release is an offence according to the Environmental Protection Act.

Looks like you can still get the self-install units - plenty of air-con suppliers on line seem to have them. So long as you are OK with the 4m pre-installed piping, there is no requirement for vacuum pumps, gassing, etc. The external unit is pre-purged and the valves in the unit's connector are opened when you lock the quick-connector in place (it's the exact same system that is on mine).

One thing I did find is that you need a fairly large hole to get that connector through the wall (though not as large as someone mentioned in a early reply), so more making good afterwards, and the bend radius of the sheathed pipe&cable bundle is quite large - a pro installation should be neater! I took my piping down through the floor and out through the plinth directly in line with the condenser connector, so mine is fairly neat.

Looks like you can still get the self-install units - plenty of air-con suppliers on line seem to have them. So long as you are OK with the 4m pre-installed piping, there is no requirement for vacuum pumps, gassing, etc. The external unit is pre-purged and the valves in the unit's connector are opened when you lock the quick-connector in place (it's the exact same system that is on mine).

One thing I did find is that you need a fairly large hole to get that connector through the wall (though not as large as someone mentioned in a early reply), so more making good afterwards, and the bend radius of the sheathed pipe&cable bundle is quite large - a pro installation should be neater! I took my piping down through the floor and out through the plinth directly in line with the condenser connector, so mine is fairly neat.

Ah I see what you mean davelx. I've just had a look at one on a you tube clip....the one with the handle similar to that on a ratchet strap that pulls the connections together? Very innovative design.
In that case I stand corrected. Presumably the action of that connector must be to seal the joint at the same time as depressing some sort of valve...or is it to pierce the ends of the pipes?
I wonder if it seals again when disconnected?
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

If the refrigerant escapes and your hands get in the way, you can also get frostbitten fingers.......but on another note, I wonder how much refrigerant is released into the atmosphere as a result of car crashes.

Presumably the action of that connector must be to seal the joint at the same time as depressing some sort of valve
I haven't seen any, or the video you mention, but there are a few designs of connector like that - each side has a sealing valve which is opened when the two halves of the connectors are put together.
I'd expect them to seal - it's fairly easy to do. I've used several designs on agricultural hydraulics - they all lose a small amount of fluid every time they are unmated ... There are some specifically sold as low or zero loss, though I'm not sure I can see how to make a design that's got zero free space between the halves all the time until both sides are sealed.

If the refrigerant escapes and your hands get in the way, you can also get frostbitten fingers.......but on another note, I wonder how much refrigerant is released into the atmosphere as a result of car crashes.
Or just through leakage or stone damage to the condenser. I've been told by a service engineer visiting work that most automotive AC systems need regassing every year or two as it's impossible to make the shaft seal on the compressor completely leak proof.

Presumably the action of that connector must be to seal the joint at the same time as depressing some sort of valve

Exactly
...or is it to pierce the ends of the pipes?

No

Yes, according to the installation manual. I've never had to disconnect it though.

quickconnect.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back