split lighting feed / 2 gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found discussion of this in a post and can't find it again!

Lighting circuit Feed goes to JB (off this comes 1 light/1switch) feed continues onto next JB (off this comes 1 light/1switch) feed continues onto next JB where it splits into 2 feeds. These 2 feeds go to 2 JBs (last on circuit) each have 1 switch and 2 lights coming off to give 4 kitchen lights. Total circuit 6 lights 5A fuseholder

Question can the 2 switch cables from these last 2 individual JBs go to 1 x 2 gang switch when they have come from 2 different JBs which have split the main feed cable of that circuit or do I need 2 x 1 gang switches?

Sponsored Links
That is absolutly fine. No probs.

People become concerned when two individual circuits fed from SEPERATE FUSES are present in switches.

BUT.

It it still satisfactory to have seperarte circuits within a switch - just take a look in larger houses, or shops and commercial premises - could be a dozen circuits in a single switch!

i seem to remember hearing that grid plus boxes come with a warning label that you place on the grid frame to indicate multiple cuircuits.

this way you will see the warning whilst the live parts are still enclosed to IP2X yet the sticker is not somewhere it will easilly get damaged or peel off or look unsightly.

btw do grid frames have an earth terminal (im pretty sure they are metal and if the backbox is plastic it wont' earth them so i would have thought they would need one).

Sponsored Links
PW is right - the grid yokes do come with a sticker (if you ask). And yes, all yokes have an earth terminal (the actual fron plate doesn't though, it is earthed through the screws).

It is only a 415volt warning sticker though, not a multiple sources sticker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back