Split neutral

I've just attempted to do the experiment (well, a safe version thereof!) by attempting to measure the IR of the sole of the (leather-, not rubber-soled) shoes I've been wearing all day (so probably not totally dry :) ). I clamped sheets of metal inside and out, and got an IR of about 16 MΩ at 1000V between them.
I hope you had the curtains drawn - if the neighbours saw you doing that they might fear you'd lost it.

Sponsored Links
Ok.

Where is the shared neutral?

If you are talking about the supply to the CU, then it's alright; that's how it is done.

If you are talking about the circuits to the pumps having three lines but only one neutral, then that is a different matter.

I think a better description of the set up would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about the circuits to the pumps having three lines but only one neutral, then that is a different matter.
You say that, but isn't it a common situation with, say, 3-phase lighting (albeit usually with a 3-pole MCB, not 3 single-pole ones)? As recently discussed, provided that the currents were fairly sine-wave (i.e without excessive harmonics) the single neutral (of same CSA as the Ls) would not be a problem, at least in terms of CCC, would it? Indeed, doesn't essentially the same situation arise with, say, a 1/3-phase cooker fed from a 3P+N supply, if each phase feeds one element - the only real difference (from 3 separate pumps) is that the three elements are 'in the same box', isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Ok.

Where is the shared neutral?

If you are talking about the supply to the CU, then it's alright; that's how it is done.

I think a better description of the set up would be helpful.

if you just read my posts all the information you request is there

1 20a triple c/b 3pn 6mm cable to isolator

20a triple breaker removed
2 x 16a fitted
1 x 10a fited

from original outdoor isolator

3x new isolators 1 per phase neutral onto old supply in old isolator

old isolator kills all three

local isolators kill each pump

hope that makes sense

Not really/completely .....
.... from original outdoor isolator ... 3x new isolators 1 per phase neutral onto old supply in old isolator
As I understand it, the crucial question EFLI was asking was whether or not there are separate neutrals from each of those 3 new isolators to the 3 pumps (I suspect there are) - is that the case?

[the fact that the three single-phase isolators/breakers are fed from a common neutral is essentially no different from what happens in any DB/CU or distribution system]

Kind Regards, John

Not really/completely .....
.... from original outdoor isolator ... 3x new isolators 1 per phase neutral onto old supply in old isolator
As I understand it, the crucial question EFLI was asking was whether or not there are separate neutrals from each of those 3 new isolators to the 3 pumps (I suspect there are) - is that the case?

[the fact that the three single-phase isolators/breakers are fed from a common neutral is essentially no different from what happens in any DB/CU or distribution system]

Kind Regards, John

as per attached. the neutral is common back to the board. each phase is on a separate c/b

as per attached. the neutral is common back to the board. each phase is on a separate c/b
That's what I imagined. I'm no authority but, as far as I can see, if you renamed "old isolator" as something like "remote DB", the 3P+N cable between the main DB and that would just be a 'distribution circuit' and everything would be 'as expected', so you would probably not be questioning it?

Kind Regards, John

You say that, but isn't it a common situation with, say, 3-phase lighting (albeit usually with a 3-pole MCB, not 3 single-pole ones)?
Yes, but to be honest, contrary to what Mr.Bartlett says, I couldn't make head nor tail of his description.

His quotes of "and fitting 3 x singles 1 x 10a 2 x 16a" and "He said he did not want to rewire from the board" left me wondering where these were.
Could it be one 1mm² neutral carrying 42A ???

Maybe just me.

You say that, but isn't it a common situation with, say, 3-phase lighting (albeit usually with a 3-pole MCB, not 3 single-pole ones)?
Yes, but to be honest, contrary to what Mr.Bartlett says, I couldn't make head nor tail of his description. ... His quotes of "and fitting 3 x singles 1 x 10a 2 x 16a" and "He said he did not want to rewire from the board" left me wondering where these were. ... Could it be one 1mm² neutral carrying 42A ??? ... Maybe just me.
No, it's not just you. However, his diagram is clear, and corresponds with what I had guessed/assumed. As I've written him, although I'm no expert, it looks fine to me - essentially a 3P+N distribution feed to three single-phase circuits (each with their own neutral :) ) - no different from what happens in many a DB.

What I'm less clear about is what it was that the electrician didn't want to do - take three single-phase circuits (L+N) separately back to the main DB (which I would say is probably totally unnecessary), I presume.

Kind Regards, John

3 p&n 20a supply on 6mm cable 15m run
why would you think it was 1mm?
EFLI was talking about the final (single-phase) circuits, and noted that all you had told us was that there was 1 x 10A circuit and 2 x 16A ones. With ideal cable routing ('clipped direct') those final circuits could theoretically each have been wired in 1mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John

3 p&n 20a supply on 6mm cable 15m run
why would you think it was 1mm?
EFLI was talking about the final (single-phase) circuits, and noted that all you had told us was that there was 1 x 10A circuit and 2 x 16A ones. With ideal cable routing ('clipped direct') those final circuits could theoretically each have been wired in 1mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John

why do you think was he talking about the size of the final cable when the topic which was shared neutral and acceptability .?

why do you think was he talking about the size of the final cable when the topic which was shared neutral and acceptability .?
I'm sure that he can, and probably will, answer for himself, but I think some clues can be seen in:
Where is the shared neutral? ... If you are talking about the circuits to the pumps having three lines but only one neutral, then that is a different matter. ... I think a better description of the set up would be helpful.
and
... but to be honest, contrary to what Mr.Bartlett says, I couldn't make head nor tail of his description. His quotes of .... left me wondering where these were. Could it be one 1mm² neutral carrying 42A ??? ... Maybe just me.
As I've said, for there to be a 'shared neutral' in a 3-phase supply or distribution circuit to the point at which it splits into three single-phase circuits is really just 'as expected'. EFLI presumably also knew this, and therefore was probably struggling to try to work out what 'shared neutral' was concerning you. [Assuming your house has a single-phase supply, the neutral feed to your house will be 'shared' with consumers on the same phase and the other two phases for most of the way back to the substation.]

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back