Split pipe any opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Friend had a leak. Boiler flow and return pipes in the loft. Not sure we can know which pipe split, flow or return, possible both. Plumber came and went, all sorted but concern remains over the cause of the splits. See image.

Anyone seen anything similar ? Any opinions ?

andytw

Sponsored Links
From the way the bottom one looks, it looks like the pipe's may have been rubbing against something.

I came across exactly the same thing in a rented property with a Grant External Combi. It happened 3 times in about 2 months. Another plumber mended the leak first time around.

I diagnosed a fault in the thermistor sensing the return temp of the heating water at the boiler. To eliminate any chance of it happening again I ordered a whole new updated control board, at Landlord's request, which sorted out the problem.

It's definitely got too hot/over pressurised. Check the PRV if there is one fitted [sealed system]

Grant external boiler eh ? .......now there's a coincidence !!!!
What's more there was some boiler work done the same day so may have been some collateral damage.
I'll pass it on.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Had a chat with friend. Boiler is getting red light which I think is over temp.
It's a Combi 90 Mk2. I've had a look in the manual and there is no control board or thermistor. I think it is traditional pre electronics control. There are 2 thermostats, Primary Store and Control. Have suggested one of these is faulty or mis-placed. He has someone coming to look, I think this evening.

andytw

The main control thermostat, the one with the control knob on it, had a snapped capillary pipe at the sensing end. Probably damaged the previous day when the HE was replaced.
Stat now replaced and boiler is now cycling at correct temperature. Engineer is coming back to replace plastic pipes that may have been stressed.

andytw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back