Split Purlin

dkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Could anyone advise on best options for fixing this please? House built in late 1800s but loft converted maybe 30 years ago. The purlin is roughly 15ft long and this split is about 6ft away from one of the ends. Don't really want to replace the whole thing but looking at options.

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 231
Sponsored Links
Splice something to it like a steel plate if you are not going replace it.

• Thanks
Reactions: dkb
Thanks
Does it need to be the full length of the purlin or just in the area where the split is?

Edit: I just reread and get the 600mm

Sponsored Links
So, when I posted this I'd already asked a structural engineer to come have a look. Supplementing the purlin is recommended. So, now I need to get a 250x75mm lump of 4m long wood up into the loft.

Having some other roof work done that requires scaffolding so I'm hoping I can get it up that way and through the velux.

Wish me luck

Supplementing his PI insurance more like.

Complete waste of time and money just because he doesn't know how to engineer.

35 years experience, report done for free (a work colleague) and He’s not doing the work. My joiner is. ,)

Reasoning was a surveyor will pick up on that so it’s worth spending £60 on materials and £100 fitting it to save pain later on.

Out of interest what would your joiner's solution have been?

Blup

Out of interest what would your joiner's solution have been?

Blup

Both the joiner and roofer said ply but we decided we wanted a report with recommendations and actions to keep for when we sell and not open to questioning/increased risk of buyer pulling out.

The structural engineer did say it’s 50/50, might never fully go but got to consider how it happened and potential it going further. He also said ply would have been fine but the crack goes all the way through so it concerned him.

It’s costing next to nothing so happy to do it.

We had the SE (and our architect) insisting a dividing wall was not structural even though it had a strut on it supporting part of a ring purlin. The builders insisted it was there for a reason and were able to reposition it.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back