Splitter or a 2 way amp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The aerial i have at the moment is one out of screwfix with a built in masthead amp. It is a 1 way amp on it but i want to supply 2 rooms with the aerial and want them to be as good quality as each other.

I currently have it like this, cable from aerial runs downstairs to Tv there, i have a double socket there which i bridged inside so that it outputs to both connections from the 1 aerial, one socket to the tv and the other is to the tv in the bedroom.

The problem with this is that the tv in the bedroom does not get as strong a signal as in the downstairs room. Whats the best way to keep the signal tip top in both rooms?

Sponsored Links
Replace the masthead amp with a 2 or more way one.

Use CT100 grade (or equiv) coax cable where possible. (the brown stuff isn't very good... at all...)

It came with some cable, not sure what sort but was black and has silver on the inside to shield the signal.

I noticed that the 2 way splitters on have 12db, where as my 1 way amp has about 21db, will this make the signal less?

I also want to put an FM aerial in the loft to receive FM on my home cinema system, is there a way to feed this signal down the same cable or will i need another cable?

In that case, keep the masthead amp, run its output along with the one from your new FM aerial (avoid the folded dipole ring type) to a multiplexer in the loft which will combine your TV and FM signals (some will do DAB and SAT as well) into one coax cable.

Replace your aerial socket in the lounge with a diplexing/triplexing/quadplexing one and add new ones in the bedroom etc.

Edit:
Regarding splitters, split the signal in half, split the strength in half (well, roughly)

Sponsored Links
Could you recommend a multiplexer that is nto too expensive but still does a good job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back