Splitting ADSL and Telephone on Spurred Telephone Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Telecoms Experts,

I currently have a spur telecoms wiring in the house and the adsl is really poor (0.3Mbit) (it dropped off from 1.0 recently for some unknown reason).
Here's the layout:

Anyway, i disconnected all the sockets from the junction box in the loft and connected a separate BT extension cable from there down to the room with the adsl router and connected the router and phone on a filter. The adsl rose to 2.3Mbit.

So.. i want to split off the adsl and telephone wiring so they don't interfere with each other. (note that the four cables going to the four sockets are single cables (in the wall) and all is designed in a spider network. Also, there is no NTE5 socket/test socket and the master socket is defined by the one having the yellow capacitor on the back). ie. i don't really want to go re-wiring in the wall, but don't mind doing something in the loft.

I'm thinking that i'd like to install my own NTE5 master socket just inside the house. Perhaps an adsl filtered one so that i can draw off the adsl from that point.

So i guess what i'm asking is:

1) can i have a spur (spider network) running off an NTE5 socket (for the rest of the phone sockets), and if so, should i keep the socket with the capacitor

2) can i run a really long extension from an adsl socket on a filtered socket to the socket with my modem attached using the existing internal wiring? Any guidelines on that?

3) is there a better way?

ps. i know i could use wireless at the point of entry, but i'd rather wire it if i can.

thanks

asianhawk

Sponsored Links
idealy you want an nte5 with a filtered faceplate as close as you can to the point of entry

openreach don't allow you to change your master to a nte5, but plenty of people do (just make sure you get a bt/openreach branded one so it looks correct) only one needs to be a master, the nte5 would take on this role

filtered faceplate for the bottom of an nte5
314437190_tp.gif

plenty of info on here do a search......

thanks for the answer on Xmas day SteNova, but unfortunately that doesn't answer any of my questions. I've done a fair bit of searching, but found nothing relevant to my situation. If you or others have any more suggestions to my questions, feel free to comment.

Merry Xmas!

Well its Come Dancing on TV so i am stuck for entertainment on Xmas day.

Replace the first junction box at the incoming point with the filtered NTE5 adapter as shown above.
The incoming BT cable is connected to the "back part" of the new NTE5.

Connect the existing cable that is shown to the connection box in the loft, but use only IDC connectors 2 & 5 from the "front" part of the new NTE5 . Obviously you will need to identify the existing 2 & 5 wire colour connections in the loft
(This may need checking/following back from one of the room sockets.) Disconnect all wire connections in the loft box to the room sockets EXCEPT those running in the 2 & 5 connections.
All the existing telephone sockets will be filtered.

If you intend to operate your modem from the new master NTE5, thats it, but if you need an ADSL connection in a different room continue as follows.

You will now have a spare pair of wires in your cables that can be connected to terminals A & B in the NTE5 and used to get an ADSL (unfiltered) supply into the loft connection box. ( I don't know quite what type of junction box you have) From there use the spare wire pair in the cable to the room where you wish to install the modem to continue the A & B wires. Replace the room socket with a dual Phone and ADSL socket, re-connecting the 2/5 pair and A & B pair respectively.

If your existing cable is not decent phone quality or better, I would suggest changing it properly. The wires need to be solid for IDC connections and use a Krone type tool.

(Note, this method disconnects the "bell ring" connecting wire from IDC connection 3 and the unused connection 4, so any very old phones may no longer work, but it is fine for modern stuff.)
Note also that you are not supposed to actually touch the BT cable, so if you wish to remain completely "legitimate" you should use a short bit of cable between the incoming first BT connection box to connect to the new NTE5, but------- ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
ok, that makes sense. I was thinking that i would have to do it separately, ie, put in a BT looking NTE5 and then connect that to the filtered one and go from there, but i see now i can just use the one socket as the front bit has the A and B connector as well. The junction box in the loft is also 4 to 4, so i can get two sets of wires in it.

I won't be replacing the external junction box (as it's outside), but i'll put your suggested NTE5 socket inside. I was thinking just inside as mentioned, as it would look ok if i needed to get BT out one day, but the wiring is tight, and all nailed in, so i figure i will try and put it in the loft (in fact it can replace the junction box in the loft). The wiring should be pretty good since it's only 10yrs old (it's a white round cable)

Does that sound ok? Is there any real benefit of me putting the NTE5 at right at the entrance (which would mean me having to recable?)

Also, for the three phone sockets, does it make any difference if one of them is a master (ie has the yellow capacitor in it)?

thanks

One you have a new NTE5a in place, the other sockets should be changed to secondaries. While it will still work, it causes the line to have greater capacitance which can affect test results and ADSL.

A few meters from the point of entry would be fine.

You will be fine to do as you suggest, but bear in mind that the loft is not ideal for your NT5, because BT will only accept responsibility for their service upto the first incoming connection box and if you have any phone or Internet problems, your service provider will require you to test by plugging directly into the connection point, with all the remaining internal house cabling disconnected.
Hence an advantage of having a convenient NTE5 .
As that first connection box is outside the house, you could drill through to the inside and fit an NTE5 using the existing cable; add a bit of new cable from the outside connection box to the new NT5 if necessary.
You should replace any master sockets with extension sockets as stated.

ok, i'll put it just inside the property. Should be able to nip off a bit of spare cable in the loft. Installing the adsl/phone socket in the office will free up a standard socket to replace the old master. I've got the NTE2000 and an Openreach NTE5 on order now.

So it's all looking good.

Thanks for all your help. I'll report back when i have the finished speeds in a couple of weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back