Spot lighting. Do I need an earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi this is the first time i have used this site and i hope someone can help me.

i want to replace two fluorescent strip lights with two spot light bars/track lighting (3 times 50 watt halogen). the old fluorescent strip lights do not have an earth whereas my new lights do have an earth.

trying to get an earth fitted would mean that i would have to take a wooden ceiling down. do i need to do this or can i simply just leave the earth out altogether

thanks

chris

Sponsored Links
fluorescent striplights should ALWAYS be earthed. Please double check this WITH THE ELECTRIC OFF. With their metal casing, the lights casing could very easily become live and not be detected without an earth to blow the fuse.

If your new lights need an earth, you MUST provide one, for the same reason as above. If the lighting circuit doesn't have an earth, it is time for a rewire.

Hi, thanks for your answer. I take it these are new regulations. Sounds like an expensive job then.....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back