Spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never installed any lighting before other than put up a chandelier before.

I'm thinking of putting 4 spotlights in a bedroom on 1st floor which has a bedroom attic above it...

I'm good at DIY.

Would this be a difficult task? Any tips?

Sponsored Links
how do you think you'll do it?

I've seen some vids.

But I just wanted to gage how do other DIYers or Sparkys feel about it? Is it too much faffing in practical sense. I can imagine with searching and locating for joists can be tricky?

Any personal experiences are welcome.

Thanks

Well, you are going to need to access the ceiling void, somehow. There are joists running one way or the other that may get in the way of wiring.
How easy would it be to pull up some of the flooring in the attic bedroom? Does the floor consist of floorboards, or large sheets?

I assume the bedroom already has a working light in it? Were you planning to attach your new spotlights to this existing light, or will they be on an additional switch ?

PS I personally hate downlights in a bedroom, not really subtle lighting, and the glare in your eyeballs when you look up isnt great either. But maybe you need lots of light for creating videos for your favourite Internet channels.....? ;)

Sponsored Links
Well, you are going to need to access the ceiling void, somehow. There are joists running one way or the other that may get in the way of wiring.
How easy would it be to pull up some of the flooring in the attic bedroom? Does the floor consist of floorboards, or large sheets?

I assume the bedroom already has a working light in it? Were you planning to attach your new spotlights to this existing light, or will they be on an additional switch ?

PS I personally hate downlights in a bedroom, not really subtle lighting, and the glare in your eyeballs when you look up isnt great either. But maybe you need lots of light for creating videos for your favourite Internet channels.....? ;)

It is floorboard in rhe attic bedroom. But I'll have to move a few things and rip the carpet out..

I was going to attach it to the existing light.. as I don't want to be ripping into the wall to out a new cable for a new switch.

You should be able to undo the carpet and toll it back. There shouldn’t be any need to “rip” anything.

Thanks so much.

Would you say doing it from the bedroom directly is too much faffing ?

I saw a video where the guy made the holes for the spot lights. Used his phone to see both sides of the joists. Then used along drill bit to make a hole in it.

Does the lighting circuit have rcd protection?
I can't see it has RCD from what I can see on there. The bit thats hanging on thw side is a bell transformer.

Attachments

• 20231226_165130.jpg
    20231226_165130.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231226_164924.jpg
    20231226_164924.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231226_165045.jpg
    20231226_165045.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 58
Mate, your consumer unit is time expired. Spend your money on getting that up to date, and do the lights afterwards n

Mate, your consumer unit is time expired. Spend your money on getting that up to date, and do the lights afterwards n

Thanks for that. It hasn't caused any issues of yet. So I'll leave that for now. Hopefully revisit in the very near future.

No changes to fixed wired circuits without rcd protection and earthing and bonding up to date

No changes to fixed wired circuits without rcd protection and earthing and bonding up to date

So I will need to put a new Circuit board in before I'm allowed to add the spot lights?

Is that purely from h/s perspective ? Or legislation/regulations etc?

So I will need to put a new Circuit board in before I'm allowed to add the spot lights?

Is that purely from h/s perspective ? Or legislation/regulations etc?
YOUR health and safety as well as Wiring Regulations. If you ignore those , it’s only your house and your family. What could possibly go wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back