Spotlights for pvc ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are spotlights / downlighters safe in pvc cladded bathroom / kitchen ceilings?

I have seen plenty but then I have seen plenty of disasters were the pvc has melted.

Currently doing a bathroom returb so in two minds.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The regulations say no, it gives a minimum distance to material that will burn seem to remember 100 mm which means very few homes can have down lights, but based on 100 watt, and even with tungsten 50 watt was in the main largest, so with LED looking at 7.5 watt and can't see that being a problem.

In real terms only with a jobs worth EICR is there likely to be a problem.

The regulations say no, it gives a minimum distance to material that will burn seem to remember 100 mm which means very few homes can have down lights, but based on 100 watt, and even with tungsten 50 watt was in the main largest, so with LED looking at 7.5 watt and can't see that being a problem.

In real terms only with a jobs worth EICR is there likely to be a problem.

Is that 100mm from the pvc material?

I think that measurement is from the front of the lamp, but unlikely applies to an led lamp.
The way i read the regs any light can be fitted, the exeption being any fitting that is marked with the relevant symbol that shows not to mount on a flammable surface.
I quess a normal downlight in normal use fitted with a Led lamp is quite low risk of overheating the plastic

Sponsored Links
I am not sure what will happen in the future as tungsten is withdrawn, but at the moment you can get the L2 GU10 which has a spike in the fitting and matching dimple in lamp so can't fit tungsten, but most LED does not have that dimple, so it means you pay a fortune just to stop some one fitting wrong lamp.

Personally I would just fit standard GU10 LED. I would have no worries, however you need to be aware some one doing an EICR could flag them up, so best not done with rental property.

There was a time when polystyrene ceiling tiles were popular, these were banned after some nasty fires, so I would have thought any plastic ceiling tile would also be banned?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back