Spotlights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a new house. On the ground floor which is open plan there are 4 sections of 4 spot lights. When we moved in one of the sections of lights were not working. We had an electrician look at it and he eventually worked out that it was the switch that had gone. He refitted a new 2 way dimmer switch and it has been fine until today.
I switched the lights on and only one section switched on. When we looked at the fuse box we saw that one of the fuses had tripped. So we switched it back and tried the lights again. Two of the three not working were now working. However the fourth and final section is still not working! Do you think it is the switch again or would it possibly be the transformer in that section went and tripped the fuse?
The dimmer switch is a 4 gang 2 way dimmer switch.

Sponsored Links
Possibly a transformer.

But use this opportunity to rewire in mains and fit LEDs or something at least slightly more efficient.

I have no idea what you just said! Do you mean redoing all of the downstairs lights?

I have no idea what you just said! Do you mean redoing all of the downstairs lights?

Well the lights werent your idea! Depends if you like them I guess. But halogen downlights are dreadfully inefficient and will cost a bomb to run, even if you dim them.

The trnasformers should be visible by pulling down a fitting - it should be loose behind a light and pull through the hole.

Add up all the wattage of every lamp you have, then compare it to the 220 watts it takes to light my 2 up 2 down and its garden.

Sponsored Links
So are you suggesting we do a whole refit of lights? The ones we have are in built to the celing so its not like it is a light fitment if you know what I mean. That would possibly be easier to change.

Some spot/downlights work of 12Volt transformers, they will be in the ceiling void somewhere near the open for the light fitting.
They break and need replacing once in a while, but the can be changed to 230Volt fitting therefor getting rid of the use/need of the trannies.
That is what Steve was trying to tell you!
"Sorry a bit late with back up"
But look to see if they are on trannies first, they could be 230V and the problem lie elsewhere!

Just thought I would say that the problem with our lights ended up being the switch. We had it changed a few times courtesy of British gas homecare. Eventually we had the dimmer switch changed to a normal on off switch and touch wood have had no problems since! (Other than lots of bulb changes! They all seemed to come at the same time! LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back