spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year to one and all. I have been reading this forum as a guest and found it very useful (also quite amusing).

Just a quick request for advice. An electrician fitted some spotlights in my new extension (bathroom) and has made a very poor job of cutting the holes which are not covered completely by the edges of the spots.

Has anyone heard of a neat solution to solving this problem or should I just make a circular plate out of thin plasterboard and try to make a feature out of it??.

Unfortunately his company is no longer trading so I've got no joy there.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very inprofessional!

can we have a photo?

might be easier to advise then :)

My method requires access above.

Cut a hole exactly the right size (it may need to be a few milli bigger) in a square of plasterboard, place it centrally over the existing ceiling hole and fix firmly in position with sealant or NMN. Then, after drying, plaster from below to make good the difference between the two.

The hole may need to be a little bigger than the size recommended by the manufacturer, to account for the double thickness of board.

Many thanks for that one securespark.

That would seem to be the most ideal approach, however, I no longer have access above the spots.

ph

Sponsored Links
Been here.

If the lights can be taken down from the ceiling and the wiring disconnected from the lamp then this method may work.

Using thin metal cut a decorative shape that covers all the hole and errors in the ceiling. Then cut a hole in the middle of this to fit the lamp fitting. The person who did this used thin brass about a foot in diameter and etched an image of the sun on it with the sun being the lamp. ( she is an artist so goes over the top ).

Turne off the power, remove the lamp and disconnect the wiring making careful note of which wire went where. Fit the lamp through the hole in the decorative cut out and then re-connect and re-install.

A ring of glue around the decorative metal to fix it permanently to the ceiling may be needed.

Purists may say the decorative metal needs to be earth bonded if the lights are 230 volt.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Boo to the lecky.....thats poor work.

The repair method depends on how the light is fixed to the ceiling.

Is it possible to drop the light down from the hole by a few inches and temporarily use duct tape to hold it there while you fill the gaps around the light with quick drying polyfilla?. Once the filler has set you can sand it a little, maybe even paint it as required, then push the fitting back up into place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back