Spray foam insulation in a loft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've purchased a 1915 house and look at insulation. I've already started to replace the loft insulation but I was wondering about spray foam insulation on the inside of the roof but not sure what needs to be done first.

I've attached a couple of pictures showing the make up of it, not sure if it needs a breathable membrane before the spray foam and whether it's better for me to do this or the insulation company.

Many thanks
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_230001.jpg
    IMG_20211204_230001.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20211204_225956.jpg
    IMG_20211204_225956.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Spray foam is about the worst thing you could do to that roof. It won't let the wood breath and you won't know you've got a leak until the rot is so bad the whole roof needs replacing.

Secondly, if you insulate the underside of the roof all you are doing is allowing heat to escape into the loft space. The insulation should be on the top of the ceiling of the room below the loft so that the heat remains in the house, not in the loft space.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I did forget to mention that we will at some point be extending into the loft so will have to do something at some point.

Looks like it's a big no no for spray foam insulation then.

Thanks for the replies.

I did forget to mention that we will at some point be extending into the loft so will have to do something at some point.

Looks like it's a big no no for spray foam insulation then.
Worry about it when you are living up there. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back