Loft condensation and insulation - help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd be really grateful for help/advice - I'm panicking a bit!

As a bit of background.... I am looking to replace the current loft insulation (fibreglass/rockwool), laid on the loft floor. This has been prompted by a potential problem of condensation on internal walls/ceilings; in our second storey rooms the ceiling 'curves' to meet the wall and I strongly suspect that there is no insulation in that area in the loft space. Also, apparently the insulation currently in the loft has not been evenly laid.

I have had two insulation installers out to have a look - one has recommended Icynene open cell foam spray in the rafters (important note, this won't be directly onto the tiles as it has a membrane). The other has recommended removing the 'contaminated' insulation, relaying the remaining good stuff and then installing superfoil sf19 bb to the roofing rafters.

Full disclosure - I signed up for the spray foam yesterday. But I am now really worried as I've since seen threads about if affecting house value. Thankfully there is a 14 day cancellation period.

I suppose I'm asking three questions:
1) Should I cancel the foam installation and if so, why?
2) Is the other option a good and effective option for insulation and condensation prevention?
3) Is anything else recommended?

Thank you for reading and I hope you can help!

Sponsored Links
I would use conventional insulation on the loft floor and see if that sorts the condensation problem, if the two are indeed connected.

It is easier than removing sprayed insulation.

Look on the threads on this site to see what the general view is of sprayed foam insulation.

Blup

a potential problem of condensation on internal walls/ceilings; in our second storey rooms the ceiling 'curves' to meet the wall and I strongly suspect that there is no insulation in that area in the loft space.

do you have a proposal to inspect the curving part of the ceiling and find out for sure?

JohnD - we had a minor leak repaired on our roof last year and that's when it was first mentioned to us.

Sponsored Links
I would use conventional insulation on the loft floor and see if that sorts the condensation problem, if the two are indeed connected.

It is easier than removing sprayed insulation.

Look on the threads on this site to see what the general view is of sprayed foam insulation.

Blup

Hi - it's looking at some of the threads you mentioned that's made me think twice.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by conventional insulation?

Hi - it's looking at some of the threads you mentioned that's made me think twice.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by conventional insulation?

Loft roll insulation - as opposed to the spray foam - but you can get insulation board too.

Blup

Loft roll insulation - as opposed to the spray foam - but you can get insulation board too.

Blup

Thanks Blup. I presume that the board can be fitted in between rafters too? I'd like to avoid the fibreglass type if possible!

Hi

I'd be really grateful for help/advice - I'm panicking a bit!

Full disclosure - I signed up for the spray foam yesterday. But I am now really worried as I've since seen threads about if affecting house value. Thankfully there is a 14 day cancellation period.

I suppose I'm asking questions:
1) Should I cancel the foam installation and if so, why?
!
YES because you will devalue your house with it ! Let us know how you get on;)

YES because you will devalue your house with it ! Let us know how you get on;)

So I contacted a few surveyors to get their opinion on the open cell spray foam - one said unconditionally to not have it installed, the other warned against it, etc. I have cancelled the installation and they have said that I should have my deposit back within 7 days. Fingers crossed that comes through ok and I can count it as a near miss!

Still on the hunt for the right solution, but I'm sure I'll get there :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back