Spraying with Johnstone's smooth metal print

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

Looking to spray two cast-iron radiators; Hammerite have said their 'direct to rust' range can be thinned by 10-20% with no issue however their colour range is limited. Johnstones have a wider colour palate in their smooth metal range (similar that it can be applied direct to unprimed surface) but they are saying it cannot be sprayed.

Thoughts??

Is there any practical reason the Johnstone product can't be sprayed?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I have never sprayed a cast iron radiator.

What kind of finish are you trying to achieve? Standard spraying will result in the rough cast finish showing through. Electrostatic power spray coating will give you a smooth finish but the "cooking" process can damage the section seals. AFAIK when powder coating the advice is to dismantle the sections first.

The Hammerite paint is thinned with cellulose, the Johnstones paint recommends cleaning up with white spirit, which is really odd given that it has a recoat time of 2 hours. Off hand I can't recall seeing any white spirit based paint with a recoat time of 2 hours.

I don't know why it can't be sprayed but they do say that it should not be used on large interior surfaces because of the fumes. Again, that is odd, I don't recall seeing that warning with white spirit based paints. Perhaps it isn't actually white spirit based.

It might be helpful if you phone them and post your findings here.

Thanks oops for the reply

Johnstones have been particularly unhelpful both over the phone and email. First email I had simply said 'no, brush application only'. When I called them to query, the person actually disputed that they did the paint I was describing even when I said I was reading from their website.

The reviews of Johnstones paints are really shocking in how poor they are. Although Hammerite do the lesser colours then I think I will end up going with them.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks oops for the reply

Johnstones have been particularly unhelpful both over the phone and email. First email I had simply said 'no, brush application only'. When I called them to query, the person actually disputed that they did the paint I was describing even when I said I was reading from their website.

The reviews of Johnstones paints are really shocking in how poor they are. Although Hammerite do the lesser colours then I think I will end up going with them.

Cheers

Personally I avoid their products and thus have never needed to call them. It beggars belief that their phone based tech support were unfamiliar with a paint that was released in 2011.

If you go with the hammerite, their cellulose thinners is really expensive. The likes of Morrells sell recycled thinners which is suitable for gun cleaning (its called XXX). The last time I purchased some it was about a tenner (ex VAT) for 5L. I would not recommend it for thinning the paint though.

Thinking about it, you might be better off dealing with a firm that manufactures paints designed exclusively for spraying, eg Morrells, Morelli, ISF.

Over the years, I have been given excellent advice from Smith and Rodgers.

https://www.frenchpolishes.com/shop.html

I would strongly recommend giving them a call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back