Springy/bouncy floor problem in mid 1920s semi - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built mid 1920s and we have been in the house 12 months. I will be starting work skimming/decorating the front room downstairs soon but before I start I want to cure a floor problem. The floor in the room is springy, which is more noticeable towards the centre of the room (about 13ft square). The back room in the house seems fine. When we had the CH system replaced I noticed in the back room that there are brick pillars under the floor about 2ft high, presumably supporting the joists. Some of these had been toppled over to make way when the old CH pipework was installed (bad/lazy workmanship). This does not seem to have affected the floor in the back room but could this be the case in the front room, if so what do I do to sort this out, or could there be another problem with the floor.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the sleeper walls need rebedding or the wallplates have woodworm or rot. Need to lift some floorboards up to investigate the problem.

Also you can just 'sound' the boards out with a hard instrument- if they sound hollow in different parts- you may have dryrot of woodworm. Try as well with a blunt screwdriver pressed into the wood. If it goes in easy- same problem!
Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, I hope it's just the sleeper walls and not rot or something just as bad. I will give the boards a sound check as soon as I get the carpet up.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back