Spur behind a skirting board

Sponsored Links
Hammondo said:
Unsure of what I or anyone else would ever screw into a skirting board, but thanks anyway!!

telephone sockets, cable television points, network points etc etc..... as well as the " ooh, it's comming away from the wall there, I'll just put an extra nail / screw in to fix it back on... "

as for whether or not the socket is or is not near to a door way... EVERY socket on the downstiars needs to be RCD protected as it's just as easy to run an extension lead out of a window as it is a door.. more so if you don't have a back door or don't want to leave your house open while mowing the lawns etc...

for future proofing also, EVERY socket in the house needs to be RCD protected to comply with the upcomming 17th edition regs..

Hammondo said:
Unsure of what I or anyone else would ever screw into a skirting board, but thanks anyway!!

telephone sockets, cable television points, network points etc etc..... as well as the " ooh, it's comming away from the wall there, I'll just put an extra nail / screw in to fix it back on... "

as for whether or not the socket is or is not near to a door way... EVERY socket on the downstiars needs to be RCD protected as it's just as easy to run an extension lead out of a window as it is a door.. more so if you don't have a back door or don't want to leave your house open while mowing the lawns etc...

for future proofing also, EVERY socket in the house needs to be RCD protected to comply with the upcomming 17th edition regs..

So would it be ok if I have the 50mm as described above, or would you just avoid it? (taking into account the rcd as accepted!)

NO.. you've had your answer from several people now and keep trying to find ways round the problem..

IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO RUN UNPROTECTED CABLE BEHIND SKIRTING!!! end of..

cable must be routed in the safe zones ( see the wiki.. ).

there is no indication to yourself ( should your memory fail in a few years ) or anyone else that there is a cable behind the skirting..

you don't mention whether this wall is brick or stud?

60mm is about 3/4 the width of a brick ( 50mm plus 10mm for the cable.. ) and cutting a chanel that deep will seriously weaken the wall above it..

you can chanel out 20mm of brick and put the cable in an earthed METAL conduit but odds are you don't have the tools to bend and thread it...

if you have wooden floors then run the cable under them and up the wall to the sockets.. or failing that run the cable in the ceiling voind and down the wall.. but this option will require some patching and re-decorating.. enjoy..

Sponsored Links
Having had a good look at my further options, Is it possible for the cable to be external in trunking? I ask this as the lounge wall backs onto the Downstairs cupboard, so I could run the cable on this wall, and pass it through where I want the socket to be, but it isn't essential for it to be hidden due to it being in a cupboard. Is this possible or is it not advisable?

I'm tempted to say just do what the hell you like.

Oh, let's throw caution to the wind - do what the hell you like.

Nice bit of plastic trunking run along the top of the skirting board ?

Thats what i'm thinking, but on the other side of the wall in the cupboard, with the wire passing through the wall back into the lounge at point of where i want the socket. Is this within regs anyone?

Thats what i'm thinking, but on the other side of the wall in the cupboard, with the wire passing through the wall back into the lounge at point of where i want the socket. Is this within regs anyone?

Absolutely - Nothing wrong with that.

kevnurse said:
If you don't have the safety distance you must get some metal strips to protect the cable.
Do you consider that "metal strips" meet the provisions of 522-06-06 (iii)?

If I can get it to 50mm softus, what should I use for protection?

Wait till January. RCD protect the cable, as this will be acceptable if it is run shallower than 50mm & is not protected by mechanical means. Fit a plaster depth box (empty) into the skirting with a blank plate on, indicating the possibility of a horizontal or vertical cable run.

kevnurse said:
If you don't have the safety distance you must get some metal strips to protect the cable.
Do you consider that "metal strips" meet the provisions of 522-06-06 (iii)?

If I can get it to 50mm softus, what should I use for protection?

Wait till January. RCD protect the cable, as this will be acceptable if it is run shallower than 50mm & is not protected by mechanical means. Fit a plaster depth box (empty) into the skirting with a blank plate on, indicating the possibility of a horizontal or vertical cable run.

Excellent! I take it if i do this before January it would be against regs? Will the box in the skirting be ok if it is sunk to be flush with the skirting? (i.e you can just see the outline of the blanking plate and the screws?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back